ISO help repairing a chipped blade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpaulg

Senior Cook
One of the kitchenhands at worked 'borrowed' my Nakiri and used it on a steel bench without a cutting board :mad: and it's now got the profile of a timber saw :censored:

On top of that if I were to kill him the law would say I am the bad man :furious:

What is the best way to re-do the edge? The blade is VG-10 steel with a Rockwell hardness of ~61.

I've never had to repair an edge before, as I work hard on not ****ing the edges of my knives.:angry:

I'd say you need a coarse stone to remove the damage and give you a new starting point for a clean edge. Then move on to finer stones and finish as you usually do.

I'm guessing, break out the waterstones, coarse first. Take the blade down to the bottom of the damage. Or take it to a pro who knows Japanese knives. Sorry to hear it, jpaulg. I just got my first Japanese knife, 240mm Tojiro DP gyuto. I only cook in the company of strangers once a week, and am thinking about a belt sheath for it. I might lack your restraint.

A picture would help. :rolleyes:

Ouch, what an unfortunate incident. Sharpen as usual and use the knife as is. Don't bother trying to get the entire chip(s) out as you would be wasting metal.

Buzz

Back
Top Bottom