Southern Pecan Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotch

Head Chef
I made these this morning. They look and smell great, although I have yet to taste them. However, they pretty much consist of pecan pie filling on top of shortbread, so how could they be anything but great?

BTW, this recipe was judged “Best of Class” in the Pillsbury Bake-Off sometime prior to 1959, back when things were made from scratch.

Southern Pecan Bars

Crust:
1⅓ cups sifted all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup pecans, finely chopped

Topping:
2 eggs
¾ cup dark corn syrup
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
30 pecan halves

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease 12" x 8" x 2" or 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan.

3. Sift together flour and baking powder; set aside.

4. Beat butter in mixer until creamy; add brown sugar and continue beating until well blended, about 3 to 5 minutes.

5. Add dry ingredients and mix until fine particles are formed.

6. Stir in finely chopped pecans.

7. Spread crust mixture evenly in pan and press down firmly.

8. Bake crust for 10 minutes.

9. While crust is baking, beat eggs until foamy.

10. Add corn syrup, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, salt, and vanilla to eggs and mix well; stir in coarsely chopped pecans.

11. Pour topping mixture over baked crust, spreading nuts evenly.

12. Place pecan halves on top, one for each bar.

13. Return to oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes more.

14. Cool in pan; cut into 30 bars.

Attachments

• Southern Pecan Bars.jpg
    Southern Pecan Bars.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 311
You're welcome!

BTW, they're really, really good! Not as sweet as pecan pie, excellent flavor and texture.

One thing -- I was able to get the entire thing out of the pan in one piece by simply turning the pan over and waiting a few seconds for it to come loose, catching it with my other hand so it didn't break up. It was then easy to cut into bars on the cutting board using a large chef's knife.

I made these this morning...Just polished off a couple...They were very good...
They are not as sweet as you might think, and I found that to be big positive....Sweet enough with lots of Pecan Pie flavor!! .....Delicious!!

Glad you liked them, Bob. I agree about the sweetness -- I was a little concerned that they might be cloyingly sweet, but that's not the case.

I make something similar - could be the exact same thing even. They are WONDERFUL and addicting! Because it's not as thick/high as a pecan pie the crust offers some savory to the sweetness. The only way I can stop eating this is because there is none left! :rolleyes:

Those are very similar to the bars that my mom always asks me to make for her friends. They love them!

Back
Top Bottom