Wild Game Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sportingchef

Assistant Cook
I've read a number of the previous posts regarding wild game recipes, venison, possum, etc. It's been my experience that, if your deer tastes bad, don't blame the deer. Many home chefs have taken to soaking their meats in an assortment of strong marinades to remove the gamey taste. If you take proper care of your game and don't overcook it, you'll find that it will greatly improve the taste and you won't have to spend days trying to cover up unpleasant flavors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome sportingchef,
I find that most of the problems with bad tasteing game start with improper field dressing. Also (and foremost) proper shot placement makes a world of difference.

I agree that field care is #1 when it comes to how an animal will taste after words.

Do you mean like the words...bless this food, amen? Or afterwards......... :LOL: Sorry, lack of sleep got the best of me and I couldn't stop my fingers from typing it! :angel:

just wanted to add that in my experience,(bowhunting) the kill has much to do with the texture of the meat. Example: If the animal runs post being shot vs.dropping dead, the fright and shock with toughen the meat considerably.
Depending on the animal's diet - wild bush n pine v.s. lucious farmer's hay crop determines flavour.

just wanted to add that in my experience,(bowhunting) the kill has much to do with the texture of the meat. Example: If the animal runs post being shot vs.dropping dead, the fright and shock with toughen the meat considerably.
Depending on the animal's diet - wild bush n pine v.s. lucious farmer's hay crop determines flavour.
Yes; A high head or neck broadside shot with a 12 ga. slug on a whitetail is far superior with respect to humane killing and taste of harvested meat, as compared to the typical bleeding-out kill achieved with broadheads. Corn fed seems to be the gold standard for most game but many of us have to hunt where such browse is in short supply. E.G., in my area gray squirrels who love nuts and are pretty tasty also consume, lots of maple seeds and buds.
All of the above notwithstanding, prompt butchering and cooling is the most important factor in preserving the palatability of game.

Back
Top Bottom