Nymphs for the cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have been tying fishing flies for about 6 months or so now and have made great strides in improving my skill. This morning I tied a large nymph pattern called a Moristone. It is larger than moxt nymphs at about 1/2 inch in total length. After completing the fly, to make it more durable, I daubed on a bit of fly head cement, a watery substance that "glues" the thread strands together to insure that knots, and therefore flies, don't come unraveled in use. I left the Moristone in the fly vise to dry and went about my business. After a few moments my wife exclaimed; "Help!" I turned as she continued; "The cat is eating your fly!"

Visions of a barbed hook stuck somewhere in the cat's tongue or cheek filled my mind. I quickly shooed the cat away and found the vise empty. I was frightened for the cat. But fortunately, he had dropped the fly and I found it lying harmless on the floor.

I don't know if that nymph will catch fish, but it looks good enough to catch an insect eating cat.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm just happy that I didn't set the hook.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You need a steadier hand than I have to be able to tie flies. Good for you. I have a hell of a time just threading the tippet through the eye of those real small hooks! I do love to fish, though.

I was a fly fisherman and tied my own flys throughout the
60s and early 70s - Made woolybears, royal coachmen, some
wet flys - nymphs and streamers.
The most exciting event in my fishing career is when I
first caught a fish on a homemade fly.
I gave it up when I realized the parts of fly fishing I
enjoyed the most were wading in the streams and the
graceful art of casting. Didn't care if I caught fish or not.
Hiking replaced the wading and frisbee replaced the casting

Yes, Mike. You take me back. Thanks. I loved wading and casting. Catching a trout or any fish was a just a bonus. I remember one time I hooked into a nice Brookie after tossing a Royal Coachman right into the heavy froth of the water in a rocky waterfall. I landed that fish and just let it go. It was a good size fish. But the thrill of it finding my tiny fly in all the white water and being able to land it was all the enjoyment I wanted or needed.

Too sedentary today . . .

Goodweed,
Don't ya just love those four-foots! I was dusting with a pink feather duster one day and had to set it down on the couch to answer the phone. When I came back into the room the duster was on the floor and little Lefty was sitting on the couch with big innocent eyes and a pink feather sticking out of her mouth! I have been saving the dropped cat whiskers for my neighbor who uses them in his flys.

Goodweed,
Don't ya just love those four-foots! I was dusting with a pink feather duster one day and had to set it down on the couch to answer the phone. When I came back into the room the duster was on the floor and little Lefty was sitting on the couch with big innocent eyes and a pink feather sticking out of her mouth! I have been saving the dropped cat whiskers for my neighbor who uses them in his flys.

Good for you. I use the cat whiskers in my flies as well. They make great antennae and tails for mayfly imitations. The log fur balls that end up on my carpet are scooped up and used whenever I need gray dubbing.

My cat gives me lots of good stuff, besides a bit of fun, and occasionally, a bit of pain (Hate it when he uses my leg as a launching pad. Those rear claws hurt!).:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom