Chile too hot! Need help... Kinda quick...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothseas

Senior Cook
I’m making tamales for the very first time ever. Since it’s so time consuming, I’ve been doing it in steps.

This morning I made the chile coronado. I like it, but it’s a little on the hot side. Is there anything I can add to ‘tone’ it done a notch or two? There’s some pedestrian palates coming for dinner and I’m thinking it may be a titch hot for them.

tia

p.s. tomorrow we build the tamales.

Try a little bit of granulated sugar or water.I'd recommend trying the sugar first,before you add water.Water will dilute your sauce.It only takes a little bit of sugar,go easy on it.
If all else fails try another recipe.They don't take long to make.
Good luck.

Munky.

Sugar will take the edge off a bit. Or make another half batch with out the heat and mix it with half of the hot stuff. That will reduce the heat by half and you wont have to waste a whole batch.

Sugar will take the edge off a bit. Or make another half batch with out the heat and mix it with half of the hot stuff. That will reduce the heat by half and you wont have to waste a whole batch.

I like your idea best. Adding sugar will only make it Hot & Sweet, adding water will only make a thinner hot sauce.:chef:

My family has made tamales every year for basically my entire life, and I wouldn't worry too much if the meat alone is spicy. The filling to masa ratio will work in your favor here.

I did something similar not long ago and tried many suggestions, including adding a potato (that didn't work.) The sugar helped a bit, but I ended up making more sauce to dilute what I had. Have fun. I think SP is right. It won't be really noticeable alongside the masa.

I'm with those who say to double the recipe, without the chiles or powder. But I've actually been surprised by guests who I thought would start smoking and never eat anything I cooked again.

In the future, remember, chillies, be they anything from paprika to cayenne to habenero, fresh, dried, powdered, are very, very, very unpredictable when it comes to degree of heat. I've taken peppers off the same bush and had some so mild a child could eat them out of hand and some hot enough to take the top of your head off. When it comes to any form of hot chillies, you need to taste, taste, taste rather than follow a given recipe.

How did the tamales turn out, by the way? I agree that the masa should have helped to offset the heat.

Sugar and Lime juice. Somehow lime also has a tendency to cut through the spiciness.

We were talking about spicy foods and drinks that would cut the spice in my bar and beverage class the other day, and it turns out that grapefruit juice (acid) cuts it. So, maybe offer some grapefruit juice at the table. The lime mentioned above may do the trick, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom