I'm making chocolate chip cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
I am making chocolate chip cookies using a recipe from a book called Mrs Fields Best Ever Cookie Book. It the Blue Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookies. I made one deviation, instead of chips, I used chocolate chunks, since I had no chips.

The interesting thing...the recipe calls for an oven temp of 300 degrees and a cook time of 18-22 minutes. I've never seen a recipe with such a low temp and long cook time. They are drop cookies using the standard rounded tablespoon. (I use a melon scooper and just pile the dough high).

Curious to see how these cookies will turn out. The "Blue Ribbon" in the name got me. Hopefully it will live up to expectations. :? I made sure to do a "test" batch with only a couple cookies in the first sheet. If they turn out funny, I'll bump up the heat and decrease the cook time.

I'll report back later on how it goes. :)

I am not a big cooking/biscuit baker, though maybe I should start (especially since my first lot of pistachio biscotti turned out so good) but I would have thought that 300'F would be about right, I wouldn't think you would want it any higher...

But then again, what do I know.

Hi Haggis, Just tried the first cookie that came out of the oven. The color was nice, and it looked good. Most of my other cook books call for a higher oven temp, about 350 or 375.

I already had 2 warm cookies, so I gotta give these away pronto! :D

I guess with some chocolate chip cookie recipes (do not know about yours) they may have some ingredients, such as sweetened condensed milk, which can't risk being burnt at higher temperatues. Hence the lower temperature.

htc - Is this the recipe that also has a little molasses in it? She has a recipe on her brand of choc. chips, that I used, and I believe the temp was low and timing was longer. We loved the cookies - they were nice and 'crispy-chewy', but felt the molasses flavor kinda overpowered everything else.

Quote from htc [Haggis, Just tried the first cookie that came out of the oven. The color was nice, and it looked good. Most of my other cook books call for a higher oven temp, about 350 or 375.]

htc, but how did it taste? Probably very yummy. Would it be too much to ask you to post the recipe? And I agree with you that most recipes call for 350-375 degrees for a much shorter bake time like 12-14 minutes.

I remember hearing at some point that cooking at a lower temp for more time was her technique for cookies.

Hey all, the cookies turned out WONDERFUL! Just the texture I like, soft and kinda chewy even after they cooled down. In the past, I always had problems with my CC cookies after they cooled, they would be hard as a rock. :(

I brought them to work so I wouldn't eat too many. :D

Chopstix, I'll post the recipe later tonight when I get back home.

Here is the recipie, I used chocolate chunks instead of chips.

========
Mrs Field's Blue Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 c packed dark brown sugar
1/2c granulated sugar
2 sticks salted butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

preheat ove 300 degrees.

in medium bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt. Mix well with wire whisk and set aside.

in large bowl with an electric mixer, blend sugars at med. speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl. add eggs and vanilla extract, and mix at med. speed until just blended. do not overmix.

add the flour mixture and chocolate chips, and blend at low speed until just barely mixed. do not overmix.

drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. transfer cookies immediately to a cool surface with a spatula.

That recipe is a little different, I think, from the one on her bag of chips. Or maybe I got the molasses-added recipe from somewhere else - lol, I have visions of Christmas cookies dancing in my head, so am a little muddle-headed right now!

chez suz said:
I remember hearing at some point that cooking at a lower temp for more time was her technique for cookies.

I've heard her say this on more than one occassion. It's one of her techniques for baking soft cookies.

HTC-

I have the same cookbook and haven't looked at it in several months. Just today I pulled it out and browsed through it. Now I'll have to try those cookies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom