Vinegar and deglazing - help, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egwenejs

Assistant Cook
I heard that using red wine vinegar is a good way to deglaze a pan with beef dishes, but everytime I try it my sauce is overpowered by the tang of the vinegar. Do you guys have any suggestions for making the sauce not so overpowerly tangy?

You can deglaze with any liquid depending on the taste you are looking for. Vinegars, wines, stocks, water, whatever.

If you don't like the tang of the vinegar, use less or something else all together.

I like to use Red Wine it adds body, flavor and a little acid but not at tangy as vinegar.
C

I heard that using red wine vinegar is a good way to deglaze a pan with beef dishes, but everytime I try it my sauce is overpowered by the tang of the vinegar. Do you guys have any suggestions for making the sauce not so overpowerly tangy?

You could use part red-wine vinegar and part something else - beef stock, red wine and/or water.

Use red wine instead..

I wonder if with the vinegar if it was Balsamic red wine vinegar. That is much less harsh than regular vinegar..

Reduce the tang

Something not mentioned yet, when adding an acidic product to deglaze the pan, it needs to be reduced until almost dry "au sec". Pouring red wine or vinegar into the pan and using that liquid as a basis for a sauce will make it very tangy. Reduction is important.

Back
Top Bottom