ISO ideas for pork steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellakav

Sous Chef
anybody have a good, easy idea for pork steak?
other than grilling?
I am so tired of all my recipes!!

anybody have a good, easy idea for pork steak?
other than grilling?
I am so tired of all my recipes!!

Here's one I used to make a lot with all kinds of pork, chicken, fish etc. It's simple but very good.

3 Tb. butter
2 cloves garlic minced finely
juice from 1-2 lemons
pinch of salt

Season meat and panfry quickly to brown both sides. Remove from pan and add all ingredients. Lower heat, return meat to pan, cover and cook to desired doneness, turning to baste in sauce.

Not sure where I got this recipe, but it always turned out good. If your steaks are really thick I think you could probably cover and put in the oven til done. That part is an assuption but I don't know why not :unsure:.

Also if you want more sauce you can add stock (veg or chicken) then after cooking is complete, thicken if you want.

Edit: I went back and looked at my recipe box and it says to add 1/2 to 1 c. stock with butter, etc. Didn't recall always doing it but that's the recipe.

Brown the pork in a heavy skillet. Add some sliced onions and saute. Add some stock or water and simmer, covered until the steak is done.. Thicken the sauce with some flour and serve over rice or noodles.

My father in law used to cook really good pork steaks on the grill, but I have no idea what he did to them. At that time I wasn't that interested in cooking and he's been gone for years.

Either of the following recipes would be my choice. Awesome stuff, trust me!

Pork & Mustard Stroganoff

This take on traditional beef stroganoff is a little lighter, but the flavor is boosted with addition of brown mustard. Brands of mustard will vary in intensity, so taste as it is whisked into the sauce.

1 pound pork tenderloin, silverskin removed
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
6 tablespoons dry sherry, Amontillado preferred
1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 large onion chopped moderately fine
2 teaspoons minced garlic
½ ounce dried porcini rehydrated in hot water to cover
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1½ cups beef broth or stock
1½ cups chicken broth or stock
1 bay leaf
1½ teaspoons minced thyme
4 parsley stems
¼ cup brown/whole grain Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons softened butter
1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
12 ounces medium-size egg noodles, cooked
finely chopped parsley (optional garnish)

1. Season tenderloin to taste with salt and pepper. Preheat a Dutch oven to medium-high; add just enough oil to coat skillet bottom, about 1 tablespoon. When oil shimmers and is just short of smoking, add tenderloin. Brown on all sides, waiting to turn meat until it releases from the pan when shaken.

2. Set pork aside to cool, about 15-20 minutes (keep Dutch oven with browned bits - the fond). Cut tenderloin in half lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise into thin slices, about ⅛- to ⅜-inch thick. Combine 2 tablespoons of the sherry and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce in a bowl. Add the meat and turn to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to cook.

3. In the same Dutch oven over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and chopped onions. Cook until onions turn golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute more until garlic becomes fragrant. Transfer onions and garlic to a bowl and reserve.

4. Meanwhile, swish porcini in the water to remove any grit; remove porcinis and chop moderately fine. Strain soaking water through a coffee filter; reserve porcini water.

5. In the same pan, add the butter and sliced cremini mushrooms. Season to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their moisture and are almost half their original size, about 4-5 minutes. Deglaze with the rest of the sherry and cook briefly until liquid is reduced by about half.

6. Add porcini, reserved onions and garlic, reserved porcini water, beef and chicken broths, bay leaf, thyme and parsley stems. Simmer uncovered, about 20-25 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by one-third. Remove and discard bay leaf and parsley stems. The recipe can be prepared ahead to this point; reheat before proceeding.

7. Whisk in mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, the remaining soy sauce and sour cream. Simmer for a few minutes to meld flavors.

8. Meanwhile, combine the butter and flour in a small bowl. Whisk butter-flour mixture into the simmering liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning.

9. Add pork and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

10. Taste and adjust seasoning once more before serving immediately over hot, buttered egg noodles. Garnish with parsley if desired.

Pork Chops with Onion Marmalade

4 inch-thick boneless pork loin chops
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed in mortar & pestle
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
½ cup water
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup red currant jelly

Trim most of fat from chops, pat dry, and sprinkle evenly on both sides with rosemary, salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, brown chops, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.

Add onions to fat remaining in skillet and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes.

Add water, vinegar, and jelly and bring to a boil, stirring, until jelly melts.

Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until onions are very tender, about 25 minutes.

Return pork and juices to skillet. Cover and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until thermometer inserted horizontally into a chop registers 145°F and almost all of liquid has evaporated, about 12 minutes (of juices evaporate, add 1 or 2 tablespoons water to skillet to keep onions from sticking).

Remove from heat, partially cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.

Serve chops with onions.

Attachments

• Pork & Mustard Stroganoff.pdf
    31 KB · Views: 251
  • Pork Chops with Onion Marmalade.pdf
    26.4 KB · Views: 227
Mince about 1/4 of an onion and 3 garlic cloves. Saute in a deep skillet or pot till onion is translucent, remove. Mix the onion and garlic into a can of cream of mushroom soup, add 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce. Set to the side. (For more than 4 chops or steaks, double this.)

Sprinkle steaks with seasoning salt, garlic powder and pepper. Brown them in the same pot. Deglaze with a splash of chicken stock, water or white wine. Add the soup mixture, stir until it just begins to boil, or at least loosen up. Add the pork steaks, turn to cover. You can thin the soup if needed with some chicken stock, white wine or water.
Heat to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve with mashed potatoes. This makes a SUPERB tasting gravy! My dad used to finish his pork, then lay down a piece of bread and cover it with gravy. Called it a Poor Man's Steak. Yum!

And if you want to spruce it up a bit, and it IS good... add a minced KOSHER DILL pickle to the onion and garlic when sauteing them, and a splash of juice to the soup. Gotta be a kosher dill; the others are too tart.

I do this once in a while. It's easy enough.

Brown or sear the pork states. Place them in a 8x10 cake pan. Cover them with 2 cups pre-cooked and cooled rice. Saute some diced green pepper. Put some pepper on each steak. Dilute Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup with 1/3 can of milk and mix welll. Pour evenly over chops.

Bake 350 degrees 20-25 minutes or until the top begins to brown. The rice is sooo good.

Makes 4 pork steaks.

This recipe can be adjusted accordingly for more steaks, more rice or more soup. If you do not use enough soup, the rice will be tasty but a little dry. The more liquid, the longer it takes to bake.

Dice the meat, removing most of the fat. Saute in a skillet along with garlic and onion. Stir in sweet red pepper relish and a bit of "chili sauce" from a bottle. serve along with flat bread/pita wedges..

Chunk the meat (bigger than dicing...;)), brown it a bit then pour the following over it and simmer.

1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup water
Stir til all ingredients are incorporated then pour over meat.

I serve this with rice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom