Emerg. Sub: How can I turn marinara sauce into pizza sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HELP! I've got all the fixins for a g-f pizza (including fresh made mozzarella!), but i forgot the pizza sauce. All I've got is an all-organic frozen marinara sauce, a couple of ripe roma tomatoes, and a 28oz can of diced tomatoes. I have most standard dried spices on hand in decent quanities, and other usual basics.

Can anyone suggest how I can turn this into a pizza sauce?

I'm thawing the marinara now in a pan on super low. The ingredients in it are: tomatoes, onion, fennel, oregano, basil, garlic, bell peppers, chilies, marjoram, parsley, thyme, and natural citric acid.

I'm guessing to start I need to reduce the sauce to thicken it up, but how can I get the right flavor?

Thank you!!!

I use marinara all the time on pizza! If you think yours is too thin you can always add some tomato paste to it and as far as spicing it up, you can make it taste anyway you want. Add more garlic, oregano, basil, whatever you want. That's one of the great things about pizza is its versatility and simplicity.

I agree! "Marinara" sauce & "pizza" sauce are one & the same thing. The only possible difference is that, depending on your marinara recipe, it might be a little thinner than what you'd use on a pizza. Just reduce it down a little &/or add some tomato paste. As far as getting the "flavor" right, just taste it & add what you feel it needs or what you have a taste for.

I'd forget about adding the canned diced tomatoes, as that will just make the sauce thinner. If you want to use the fresh Roma tomatoes, I'd just slice them super thin & use them for a topping, but they're not necessary either.

Yup, just smear it on the dough to make it a pizza sauce.
Personally, I'd add a touch of heat of some sort to spice it up.

enjoy!

g-f????

Ingredients for g-f pizza crust

If you have a recipe for the g-f pizza dough, I'd love to see it!

sorry, no recipe, but i can give you the ingredients! it's a premade crust from our new favorite gluten-free bakery called Cooqi (pronounced Cookie) Gluten-Free Delights in St. Paul, MN.

Ingredients are: g-f flour mix (org. brown rice flour, org. millet, org. sorghum glour, potato starch, tapioca starch), yeast, extra-virgin olive oil, org. evap. cane juice, xanthum gum, sea salt.

and that's it! it's gluten, dairy, nut, corn, soy and egg-free, and it's delicious!!! :chef:

If the marinara is chunky, you may want to puree it. Smooth sauces cover the dough better. The only addition might be a little extra oregano.

IMO, Andy nailed it. I deconstructed a local favorite pizza sauce and worked to dupllicate it. The ingredients were, in oder of importance, tomato sauce, oregano, sweet basil, bay leaf, garlic, onion. The primary herb flavor was oregano. I like to add black pepper and a touch of fennel to my sauce as well.

A good way to turn your sauce into pizza sauce is to reduce it to the consistance of canned tomato sauce and sprinkle dried oregano on top, after spreading it on the pizza crust.

Be careful with the toppings. Too much of a good thing actually ruins the pizza. You should be able to see a hint of crust through the toppings and sauce. If not, then the crust doesn't cook all the way through and can be doughey. If the crust is pre-cooked, then that isn't a problem.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

turned out delicious!

OK, so you guys were right. I guess I was assuming this sauce was going to be watery like the Muir Glen marinara that my partner once bought (which is sadly owned by General Mills). This stuff was "homemade" by Mad Woman Foods, which is a local gluten-free shop here in Minneapolis. It was thicker than I expected, and VERY flavorful. I added a pinch of sugar because it seemed too "dark" for pizza sauce, but just reduced it a bit with some light boiling and stirring.

Tasty!!! Topped with mozzarella, 3-layers of pepperoni, and tomatoes. Turned out perfect.

And we drank some lovely Tropical Crimson Iced Tea with it. (Hibiscus, rosehips, lemongrass, licorice, and more!)

Now to make fresh blueberry cobbler! =)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom