Substitution question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smahar

Assistant Cook
I am making a New York cheesecake for a party where a guest is allergic to sour cream. Can I substitute yogurt?

Are you talking about the sour cream you put on top of the cheesecake or does your recipe call for sour cream in the batter? If its just on top, leave it off, if its in the batter then yes, you can sub the yogurt. I have a recipe that doesn't have sour cream in it. Everyone has always enjoyed it.

[FONT=&quot]NewYork Style Cheesecake[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Crust:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 cups graham cracker crumbs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 oz butter, melted[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blend together and press into 9 inch springform pan. Press crumbs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]approx. 2 inches up sides of pan.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Filling:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]32 oz cream cheese, softened[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 2/3 cups sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 large eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp vanilla[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mix cream cheese and sugar until lump free and smooth. Add eggs, one[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]at a time, mixing well. Add vanilla and beat until smooth. Pour into pan[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and bake until center puffs and no longer shakes when pan is moved.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Approx. 1 hour and 20 minutes at 300 degrees F.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cool in pan and unmold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NOTE: To make a marbled cheesecake, reserve 2 cups of batter and add[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 oz of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted. Pour plain batter into[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]pan, pour the chocolate batter over and swirl with a spatula and bake as[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]above.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Recipe courtesy of California Culinary Academy, San Francisco, CA.[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom