Stuff I want to like, but don't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrissyMc

Assistant Cook
Last night, I made scallops in a wine sauce. I think it was ok, except for the lemon juice it called for. I put in a very small amount, but I still feel like the sauce was ruined by a lemony flavor. I read all the time about people putting a squeeze of lemon in their food, and I just don't get it. I think I am the only person ever, not to like lemon in anything...except ice tea!:rolleyes:,
Other foods I don't like, but feel like I should...or at least try again to like :
!. Polenta/Grits: I tried to like this, but I hated it. I'm from the NE part of the country, so maybe I don't make it the way southerners do. I still find it yukky, lol
2. Gravy. Again, I think I am the only person ever to not like gravy...brown meat gravy or white sauce.
3. Saurkraut. Never liked it, never will.
4. Grilled Cheese. I love cheese and I love bread, but put them together? Yuk. If I were to eat such a thing, it would have to be a cheese other than American, and not white bread.
5.Egg Salad. I love hard bolied eggs. I love mayo. But together? Why would someone do such a thing?:ohmy:
Please don't be offended by anything I am horrified with. I'm ok with other people liking this stuff. It's just my weird taste buds, I guess.
Chrissy

I agree on the lemon. It's fine in tea and desserts. I love lemon desserts. I do not enjoy lemon in savory dishes. I would never order a Picatta dish.

I don't care at all for the taste of capers.

Saffron is OK but not worth a lot of fuss.

Rhubarb

Cauliflower

That's enough for now.

I go just the other direction. I don't take to sweets that much, and I do not like sticky sweets so common things like apple or cherry pie hold no thrill for me, nor do I long for sticky buns or pancakes dripping in syrup.

I put creamed chipped beef on waffles and think its just great! I'm a vinegar on french fries guy. Salsa is awesome, ketchup too sweet.

However, I do like sweet if it is creamy, such as milk chocolate, (although dark is better).

For desert I like a creme brulle, but prefer CHEESE!

just me :)

I do not think you are weird at all. Everyone's tastes are different. We all have things we do not like that everyone else loves.

I will say for the polenta/grits thing, don't give up on them. There are so many different ways to prepare them that taste and feel vastly different from other preparations.

also, with grilled cheese, there is no law saying it has to be American cheese on white bread. Try different types of bread and cheese. Interestingly, I do not really like American cheese and I can't stand white bread, but I love grilled cheese made with both (and a heavy sprinkle of garlic powder).

I have tried my best to like coffee...it's such a social thing, after all. But I just can't stand it, not even the smell of it.
Same thing with oatmeal...I would have eaten anything for my grandpa, but even though he'd fix it up with butter and brown sugar, just the texture of it made me gag.

Okay everyone, I give you all permission to laugh.

I don't particularly care for cake.

And this isn't just because I am exposed to it so much in my work, this has been all my life. I am not too much for the texture and don't like anything super sweet (ie the icing).

LPBeir, you me and Robo can have dinner together then. I am not much of a cake fan either. I have never been into things that are very sweet. I would much prefer savory any day.

Robo, I never put ketchup on my fries. Way too sweet for me. I love vinegar on them. If you could somehow use vinegar and not make the fries soggy then I would be in heaven.

LPBeir, you me and Robo can have dinner together then. I am not much of a cake fan either. I have never been into things that are very sweet. I would much prefer savory any day.

Robo, I never put ketchup on my fries. Way too sweet for me. I love vinegar on them. If you could somehow use vinegar and not make the fries soggy then I would be in heaven.

Oh yes, ketchup! I forgot to add that one. I was allergic to tomatoes as a kid and while I will eat fresh tomatoes in my salad, I am not really a fan of anything "red", specially ketchup.

Yes, the three of us could definitely dine together without much of a change in the menu! ;)

Let's see, love a good chili dog, but do not like burgers at all, avoid sausage links,patties, nit's not the taste as much as the texture, oatmeal, mush of any kind but adore polenta and meat sauce.Okra makes me shudder,so does salmon, pancakes no thanks, waffles okay,prefer savory to sweet any day..Love angel hair, lasagna and most thick and heavy pastas yuk..Yet I love to try new things..goofey you bet that's me:LOL:
kadesma

While I eat darn near ever'thing....and usually like it, taste is one of the most subjective things in all the world. I recommend keeping an open mind about things you want to try and revisit the things you don't like from time to time.
One never knows.....Something you hated last year may turn out to be a tasty treat now or down the road.

Or not!! :LOL:

OOH - great thread!

Oysters. Love clams and mussels, hate oysters.

Lima Beans, turnips, parsnips, okra - Blech!

Green pepper - ruins everything it touches in my book.

Any la dente vegetable

Dr. Pepper

Anything sweet in the morning - except for sugar in my coffee.

I've had polenta, but never grits. Are they one and the same? If so, I'd probably like them.

Never could understand peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Banana and bread together - yuk.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, peanut butter. I don't mind peanut butter cups but never put the real stuff on ANYTHING! Again, it is a texture thing.

Most of what I don't like (but feel I should) is a matter of texture not taste. The big exception on that one is liver. Yuk. Will never have a taste for that one, ever!

I love seafood, but again have to stay away from most shellfish such as oysters, clams, mussells, because of the texture. Depending on how they are cooked (or not) I can eat scallops and love them!

hmm.gif
The things I really don't like are liver, okra and lima beans. And, I have never really "wanted" to like them.

The only thing that comes to mind is Cilantro... It seems to be in so many recipes, but I can't stand it in salsa. I have tried so many times, but it tastes like soap to me. Sorry for those that love the herb.

Raw oysters & undercooked eggs do it for me. While I enjoy both well-cooked, undercooked is just a gag-fest for me. It's not a taste issue, but rather a texture one. Just can't handle it. And I eat or will at least try pretty much anything & everything within reason.

At this time, the only food item that I reject re: taste would be beef &/or calves liver. I love chicken liver & have even enjoyed pork liver, but beef/calves liver I've never been able to warm up to. Once, & only once, was I able to choke it down, & that was when my mother served it in a wine/mushroom/cream sauce. But even that wouldn't make me want to cook it myself.

Beets induce projectile vomiting for me. Really. My dad tried to make me eat them as a kid. Once.

Other than that, I like just about everything on this list of dislikes -- except egg salad, which I can stomach if I have to, and liver or any other "variety" meat. Bleh!

Beets induce projectile vomiting for me. Really. My dad tried to make me eat them as a kid. Once.

Other than that, I like just about everything on this list of dislikes -- except egg salad, which I can stomach if I have to, and liver or any other "variety" meat. Bleh!

i am with u on beets.............liver is never in my fridg. but love chicken livers. really like almost everything. some things i would not pick . that includes creamed corn. i always think they use older tougher corn kernels

like i said, if i am in someones home and some of my least favs. were served i would eat them. but wouldn't pick them from a buffet.

i am with u on beets.............liver is never in my fridg. but love chicken livers. really like almost everything. some things i would not pick . that includes creamed corn. i always think they use older tougher corn kernels

like i said, if i am in someones home and some of my least favs. were served i would eat them. but wouldn't pick them from a buffet.

Try adding a drained can of salt free corn to the creamed corn. YUM

Stuff I want to like, but don't

Shrimp, while I don't really care for the taste, it is the texture that really turns me against it.

Back
Top Bottom