Grasshoppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Are they a potential problem in a garden?

I went out to do my morning gardening.Stepped into the pit to check the squash,and a whole swarm of baby green grasshoppers flew up.
Made me jump! woooo,

So now they are all over.Do I kill em'?
Let's not get Peta into this.. :)

Munky.

Are they a potential problem in a garden?

I went out to do my morning gardening.Stepped into the pit to check the squash,and a whole swarm of baby green grasshoppers flew up.
Made me jump! woooo,

So now they are all over.Do I kill em'?
Let's not get Peta into this.. :)

Munky.
You need to get some help getting rid of those babies..They will eat everything to the ground before you can say Santa!!!e had masses of them several yeas ago and they ruined everything.
kadesma

they can be a problem in a garden, remember "The Grapes of Wrath"??

I get a few families every year but my resident toads make a quick lunch out of them.

You really don't want them to get a hold of your garden..

I remember lol!

Looks like my only alternatives would be to use insecticides,Preying Mantis,or get some chickens..Still looking around.

I did try spraying dish soap/water on them.I have small aphids around the squash.

My ever so faithful warrior (Golden Retriever) who never leaves my side was no mo' after that!.He gasped to and took off like a shot! HA HAA!

Munky.

;)Gather them up, fry in hot oil with a bit of red pepper flakes till crispy.
Toss in chives, sesame oil and fresh garlic.:chef:

cheap protein!:ohmy:

LOL!!!! You guys and your recipes :) Too funny. :LOL:
I did wonder what they would taste like..Chicken maybe?

None were out there today.I think the birds ate them :)
I did spray everything with a soap/water solution,let it dry on.
The blackberry vines that I kept are just now ripening.They've been attracting a variety of birds.Knowing that I turned on the sprinkler system.
The birds bathed,ate berries and grasshoppers...
And I'm ok with that.

Munky.

Was it the official Red Ryder BB Gun?
You'll shoot your eye out kid! ...

HA!! That's exactly what I thought! :LOL:

I can't help with the grasshoppers but if aphids are a problem, buy some ladybugs (or order them) and spray them down with Mountain Dew so they can't fly and they'll eat your aphids plus, PETA can't complain about soda that washes off after a couple of rains.

In places where they were a problem, I'd go out with a pair of scizzors and cut them in half. And I can be squeemish when it comes to stuff like that. Ask the LDS church and many other settlers out west. One or two hungry ones can absolutely destroy a garden over-night. Allow them to reproduce and entire cultures can go without food for a season.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom