Foods to prepare when going on a plane ride, that won't spoil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoastsMia

Assistant Cook
I am looking for recipes for a plane ride and need to make sure that it won't spoil.

I take things like cold roast chicken or Goanese roast pork, and cucumber salad, or Nicoise potato salad (no mayo). They are easy to carry, and easy to eat, and not too messy. :)

Gee, spoil, how long is a flight? I'd get pizza right before the flight, most aiports have some sort of pizzeria. Then of cours sadwich is always a good idea. If you have russian mother like I do, ask her to make pirozhli for you. They will less for couple of days without fridge and are extrememly filling and convinient.

We usually pick up a sandwich in the airport after we go through the security checkpoint. It should be fine until the next mealtime.

You need to be aware that there are several things you cannot take through the security check points, including liquids, jells, and the following items:

• Cranberry sauce
  • Cologne
  • Creamy dips and spreads
    (cheeses, peanut butter, etc.)
  • Gift baskets with food items
    (salsa, jams and salad dressings)
  • Gravy
  • Jams
  • Jellies
  • Lotions
  • Maple syrup
  • Oils and vinegars
  • Perfume
  • Salad dressing
  • Salsa
  • Sauces
  • Snowglobes
  • Soups
  • Wine, liquor and beer
I suggest you visit the Transportation safety Administration's website to see what's prohibited before you go to the airport:

TSA: Food & Beverages

TSA: Traveling with Food or Gifts

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

I always take crackers (like Triscuits), cheddar cheese slices and apple slices. No problem at security (although eat the apples before you land in a foreign country - they may prohibit produce) and are very satisfying. Maybe a little dark chocolate too - strictly for medicinal purposes, of course.

I always make sandwiches on pita bread for my family. A slice of Wonder bread doesn't stand a chance against a Harry Potter book in a backpack. I like PB& J, but my kids prefers ham with mustard. I avoid mayo, but if they clamor for tuna or something, I make sure they eat those first. Dad eats anything, no matter how old or smashed. Fascinating, but kind of scary. Gotta love him. Packaged crackers go over well. I divy up a can of honey roasted peanuts into ziplocks and like to play old school stewardess :rolleyes: after the flight attendants serve drinks with no peanuts or snacks.

I was under the impression that you can't bring food or beverages through the security checkpoint. Have to check that out.

Also, I thought because of possible severe allergic reactions in other passengers, peanuts are not a good idea.

i take a mixture of roasted nuts, raisins and chocolate chips, but any trail mix product will do. I seem to crave protein when traveling, and the nuts help with that.

I'm with Beth. I make a trail-mix of various good for you stuff with m&m peanuts instead of chocolate chips added to help with stress :), and a few pieces of fruit. I normally have a savory meal before travel so the healthy snacking will get me through on even a long flight.

Bob

I was under the impression that you can't bring food or beverages through the security checkpoint. Have to check that out.

Also, I thought because of possible severe allergic reactions in other passengers, peanuts are not a good idea.

You can definitely take food, but not beverages, through security.

Peanuts or any kind of nut, do not seem to be a problem. When I last flew in May, heck, they were serving peanuts as a snack.

I often pack a sandwich or two for travel. About half the time I wind up tossing them but every once and a while they have been truly welcome. (one memorable time I sat on a pushed back plane for 4 hours) before returning to the mostly closed airport to spend the night on the floor.

My two standards are peanut butter and jelly (yeah - I know but I love them) and Boursin and sliced apples on pumpernickel. The latter is virtually crush proof :)

Last edited:
Different screeners at different airports interpret the rules differently. Where as one airport will call peanut butter a liquid (not allowed) another airport will call it a solid (allowed). The guide that I use is if it is solid then it is ok if it is a liquid or semi-liquid I don’t take it. Liquids purchased inside security can be carried on.
Bringing a packet of ketchup thru security can get you into trouble but when the burger joint past security puts one in your bag it’s no big deal. Does it make sense? No, but not a lot that the TSA does makes sense.
Then you move on to what to bring that does not offend other passengers. Peanuts the airlines serve them so why not. But a tuna sandwich may not make you any friends unless you share.

...Bringing a packet of ketchup thru security can get you into trouble but when the burger joint past security puts one in your bag it’s no big deal. Does it make sense? No, but not a lot that the TSA does makes sense...

It makes sense to me. The burger joint past security has already had the ketchup packet (and everything else) cleared to get it past security. It doesn't have to be cleared again.

A terrorist could disguise potentially harmful/damaging liquids in innocent-looking packaging, including ketchup packets.

TSA is trying to keep us safe. I'm OK with that. Some of their rules may seem unnecessary or heavy-handed but they are trying to get the job done under extreme time pressure. Lots of passengers and carry-ons to check in a short period of time.

. TSA is trying to keep us safe. I'm OK with that.

As a frequent flyer who regularly deals with these idiots I have to disagree with you. I don’t see the need to list all of my encounters with the TSA where a TSA officer has violated the policy listed on the TSA website.
Want to hear the TSA “keeping us safe”? YouTube - Man detained and harassed at airport for carrying CASH!
For more prime examples of the actions of TSA officers check out the Safety and security forum at Flyer Talk.

Without listening to the video, I'll concede that may have been handled improperly.

I travel internationally and have NEVER had a problem with the TSA or customs or any other governmental organization. That's one story on the other side.

How about the hundreds of thousands of other travelers who pass through security checkpoints every day? 99.99% go through without incident.

Surely, you can improve your chances of not having an issue if you follow the rules.

I just got back from a trip from Seattle to Colorado Springs with my 10-year old, and my 4-year old... I have one of those baby packs with a cooler in the bottom, and I packed some baggies with cherries, jicama and cucumber cut into strips, a few apples, some goldfish, and a bag of trail mix. We took our empty water bottles, and bought bottled on the other side of the checkpoint. I even put three small cooler ice packs in the cooler compartment to keep my produce cold.
I didn't have any problem with security at either airport....my son did have his bag searched because he put a bottle of this "worm growing" stuff my mom got him, because the bottle was bigger than three ounces. I didn't even know he had done it till we got pulled aside.....stinker!:LOL:
Good luck!:)

I think we are missing as important piece of info. How long is the plane ride? Some people have mentioned chicken, but if it is a 12 hour flight then that would be a bad choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom