Bone in Pork Roast Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikec

Assistant Cook
I hope someone can answer this for me before too late...

I need to cook a bone in pork roast tomorrow. my plan is to put it in the over when I leave for work at 6-am and then get it out around 3:30-pm and then shred it up. I was thinking set the over at 200, does that sound good for a temp?

Thanks!

Hi,

the risk with that is it may be dry and quite crispy!!!! depending on the size of joint and what time your eating there may be another option.

If you're going to shred it, why not cook it in advance when you're home, then shred and reheat with your sauce or whatever just before you serve it?

What kind of a roast is it? There are several kinds that have bones.

200 is too low for any meat, IMO. I do my pork butt at at least 250. I also braise it, covered with liquid.

I would be very nervous about leaving an oven on all day unattended....

My first thought was a crock pot but I don't have one.

The reason I'm doing this is that I'm going to be gone for the next 6-months so I need to cook it. I remember my mom doing a beef roast all day so I thought I could do this (that was also back when we road our bikes without a helmet :))

I don't remember what kind of roast it is, it has that really wierd shapped bone, I guess like a hip or something.

Now I have no problem using a liqued as well. I was going to use my cast-iron dutch oven. I would do it while home but I'm short on time and want to feed some friends Thursday evening and I won't be home tonight unless I do it while in bed.

Sounds like you may have a Boston Butt -------
Set your oven at 250* -----
If the roast has a fat cap (layer of fat) on one side...Cut it off...You don't need it.
Rub the roast all over with Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, whatever you have that you like ----
Place it in a roasting pan uncovered --------
Figure on 10 + or - hours for cooking ----- No peeking!!
Take it out of the oven and let is rest for 30 minutes ---
Pull it....tear it apart with your fingers or two forks......
This should give you the results you're after ---

Enjoy!

I agree with Uncle Bob. I cook a Boston Butt on my Mr. Meat Grill. That's a smoker, but I am not all that crazy about smoke flavor, so I build a hot fire, give the roast a good rub and put it directly over the water pan. Depending on size of the Roast it takes about 5 or 6 hours. In the last hour I glaze it with a mixture I make up of Cherry preserves and Chipotle Pepper marinade/seasoning mix. It puts a great glaze on it. I have often heard guests refer to it a prime rib! Almost never more than a few slices leftover and that only if the crowd is small.

Oh, it turned out so good! First I did an Alton Brown and soaked it in a kinda brine that I came up with for my pork chops for about 14-hrs. I then dried it off good and put it in my cast iron dutch oven on a snake of aluminum foil (no roasting pan yet) and set it on 250 from 6:30 to 3:15. It came out perfect. I could not get it out in one piece; the bone just fell out as I lifted it. The inside was perfect and the outside had that perfect "outside meat" going on. Next time I will rub it down with spices. I did not this time because those I was feeding have problems with spices sometimes.

I served it with my evil garlic-cheddar-bacon mashed potatoes

Back
Top Bottom