Angina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
A few years back, I went through a spell where I was having pain in my neck and left arm at night after I went to bed, but a couple of Tylenol made it go away, so I figured it wasn't my heart. They went away, and I forgot about it.

Then, about 3 months ago, they started up again, worse this time. I had pain in my jaw, headache on the left side, tightness in my throat, and hurting in my left arm that went all the way down, along with gawdawful acid reflux.

My mother had angina, and died of a massive heart attack at age 65, so I figured I'd better see my doctor. He's sending me to a cardiologist, and I guess I'll be getting a rotor-rooter job on my arteries if it's bad enough. He also gave me a scrip for nitro-glycerin, which does the job on my "spells".
One night it was bad enough that I had to take two of them.

The spells seem to have gone away again, but I feel I've had a warning, and I'm grateful that there's something that can be done for this nowadays. A lot of progress has been made in the last 20 years since my mother passed, and hopefully there are a few more good years left for me.

You did the right thing going to the doctor. This is something that can be well controlled. Let the doctors take care of you and don't ignore or brush off symptoms.

You are correct. You will be around for a long time.

Connie - I had that whole jaw tightness, tightness in throat, followed by severe weakness. Went to the doctor and they said it was "nothing" that they could tell. BUT, the next time I felt like that to just call 911 as those were all classic symptoms of.

Glad you went to the doctor!

Connie,
I'm happy you saw a doctor. My dad had angina and controlled it for years. Do just what they tell you, if something unexpected turns up call 911 or head to an ER. Take care my friend we want you around, we need you.
cj

Connie, I am proud of you for going to the doctor. So often, women's cardiac symptoms differ from men's and are not taken seriously. I have a dear friend with similar symptoms whose doctor kept giving her anti-anxiety meds for MONTHS, and I finally convinced her to see someone else. She needed a triple bypass - that was six years ago, and she is doing fine today.

A few years back, I went through a spell where I was having pain in my neck and left arm at night after I went to bed, but a couple of Tylenol made it go away, so I figured it wasn't my heart. They went away, and I forgot about it.

Then, about 3 months ago, they started up again, worse this time. I had pain in my jaw, headache on the left side, tightness in my throat, and hurting in my left arm that went all the way down, along with gawdawful acid reflux.

My mother had angina, and died of a massive heart attack at age 65, so I figured I'd better see my doctor. He's sending me to a cardiologist, and I guess I'll be getting a rotor-rooter job on my arteries if it's bad enough. He also gave me a scrip for nitro-glycerin, which does the job on my "spells".
One night it was bad enough that I had to take two of them.

The spells seem to have gone away again, but I feel I've had a warning, and I'm grateful that there's something that can be done for this nowadays. A lot of progress has been made in the last 20 years since my mother passed, and hopefully there are a few more good years left for me.

you did good, going to dr. and being alert about your own body. best of health to you

I thank you all for your support.

I guess the thing I'm dreading most is having to spend the night in the hospital. I have awful claustrophobia. It's not just the small place...it's the fact that I am locked up...I can't get away. I have taken Paxil for years, and it usually helps, but the last time I went, when I had to get 2 pints of red cell-rich blood, I called Kim at 4:00 AM and told him to come and get me!
When he told me that if I left without the DR''s OK, the insurance wouldn't pay for it, so I went to the bathroom and smoked a cigarette. It helped a lot.

Next time you have to go Constance, prep yourself by taking meditation CDs with you. And tell yourself, "I only have to tolerate this for _ hours. Anyone can do it for that amount of time" I know EXACTLY how you feel and thats how I managed. Lots of belly breathing and meditation.

Connie, you can do this. I know it's a pain, but we all care for you and want you here. Maybe if Kim stayed with you, it might be easier..Gil was with me, I wouldn't have it any other way..It made things much easier...For ME..Take care Connie.
cj

That's a good idea, cj, but Kim can only hold out so long.

I do have a dear friend who's a retired registered nurse...she worked ER for 10 years, and then, with more training, went on to be a surgical nurse. I know she will stay with me, and will actually be better than my husband at helping me keep it together.

Last night, I had the worst attack I've had, with cold sweats, nausea and shortness of breath (in addition to the pain), and even the second nitro didn't stop it...called the doctors today and got scolded for not going to the ER.
I will if it happens again...then maybe I can get something done immediately.
My August 6 appointment with the cardiologist keeps looking farther away all the time.

I would appreciate your prayers.

That's a good idea, cj, but Kim can only hold out so long.

I do have a dear friend who's a retired registered nurse...she worked ER for 10 years, and then, with more training, went on to be a surgical nurse. I know she will stay with me, and will actually be better than my husband at helping me keep it together.

Last night, I had the worst attack I've had, with cold sweats, nausea and shortness of breath (in addition to the pain), and even the second nitro didn't stop it...called the doctors today and got scolded for not going to the ER.
I will if it happens again...then maybe I can get something done immediately.
My August 6 appointment with the cardiologist keeps looking farther away all the time.

I would appreciate your prayers.
Connie, you've had my prayers from the day of our first post to each other..Now they are each time I pray. Take it easy and know I love you.
cj

Back
Top Bottom