Question about body fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
I have a question about the dreaded body fat.

Ok last feburay I weighed about 232 pounds, but when I started college and started to take my health seriously I lost 32 pounds and I weigh about 199 now, However I still have the bear gut and I don't know how to get rid of it besides a drastic diet change and real experience.

Let's see I use healthier substitutes in my cooking now and I only eat once a day pretty much in the morning.

I use unsalted butter, I use kosher salt, I use organic foods, I,e tomatoes, tomoteos, I've started eating veggies that I have never ate before "only grilled" and in stews.

Anyways my question to everyone here, How can I get my stumic flat with out any exercise? or hardly little exercise specially with my hectic schedule

Thank you,

Derek.

Anyways my question to everyone here, How can I get my stumic flat with out any exercise? or hardly little exercise specially with my hectic schedule

You cannot leave excerise out of the equation, regardless of your hectic schedule. You can always make time. Diet alone won't cut it.
I work over 70 hours a week, cook 4 nights each week for the family, and still manage to run or hike at least three times per week and cycle at least 50 miles per week. You need to get that heart muscle of yours pumping close to max for several minutes, several times each week.

You can always opt for stairs over escalators or elevators and walk somewhere local instead of driving/public transport. Or if you are really, really time-poor, get a push bike or a scooter. Push ups/sit ups are something you can do before you go to bed.

Try to eat more meals a day but keep them small. Breakfast is good but try to have a piece of fruit at lunchtime if you are short of time. And even a bowl of soup for dinner. Neither is a heavy option, both can be very cheap if money is an issue, and both give your body something to process, so it doesn't feed off it self (so to speak).

Don't just look at the types of food that goes into your body but also the quantity and your fluids. Things that you may not think about can be laden with sugars, salts (which will make you thirsty) and fats. Fats can be good too so look at the types of fats you are eating.

Also remember that with weight loss, it is normal to plateau part way through. If you are/were large, weight also will often seem to fly off once it gets started without you seeming to have to do much. When you have to work at it, that's when you need to find some greater motivation than you have had before.

There is a lot more to healthy eating than buying organic or getting more vegies into your system. Start with keeping a food diary and include EVERYTHING you ingest - food and drink. And list the quantities. You will see yourself where you can make changes to your lifestyle.

Good luck. Losing weight is not an easy battle.

There is a lot more to healthy eating than buying organic or getting more vegies into your system. Start with keeping a food diary and include EVERYTHING you ingest - food and drink. And list the quantities. You will see yourself where you can make changes to your lifestyle.

I do this and it not only makes you mindful of what you eat and how many calories you are ingesting, but it also adds a subtle bit of accountability. I do eat less junk when I'm tracking because I know I'd have to write it down. There is software and on-line tools to help you and they provide amazingly detailed information.

With regard to exercise, I don't believe that sustained weight loss will occur, for most people, unless you exercise regularly.

Take a physical education class for college credit. Many offer weight conditioning or other healthy/exercise classes that one can take for credit, and use the gym. I took Pilates while in school last year. It makes exercise part of your schedule instead of "in addition." and credits will count towards your degree. You may also find an activity you can enjoy the rest of your life. My husband took rock climbing in college, he's on a major trip into the mountains now as I write this, 30 years after taking the course.

First, congrats on your weight loss! I KNOW how hard that is.

As for flattening your belly, there is simply NO WAY other than exercise. It's not just fat that gives us beer bellies, it's mostly a matter of muscle tone.

Dump your motor scooter and get a bicycle. That will do the trick if you ride it a lot, and it will speed up your fat loss and build muscle at the same time.

You cannot leave excerise out of the equation, regardless of your hectic schedule. You can always make time. Diet alone won't cut it.
I work over 70 hours a week, cook 4 nights each week for the family, and still manage to run or hike at least three times per week and cycle at least 50 miles per week. You need to get that heart muscle of yours pumping close to max for several minutes, several times each week.
So the 3 flights of stairs don't count? I climb them 3 day's a week, that's how I lost most of my weight!

You can always opt for stairs over escalators or elevators and walk somewhere local instead of driving/public transport. Or if you are really, really time-poor, get a push bike or a scooter. Push ups/sit ups are something you can do before you go to bed.

Try to eat more meals a day but keep them small. Breakfast is good but try to have a piece of fruit at lunchtime if you are short of time. And even a bowl of soup for dinner. Neither is a heavy option, both can be very cheap if money is an issue, and both give your body something to process, so it doesn't feed off it self (so to speak).

Don't just look at the types of food that goes into your body but also the quantity and your fluids. Things that you may not think about can be laden with sugars, salts (which will make you thirsty) and fats. Fats can be good too so look at the types of fats you are eating.

Also remember that with weight loss, it is normal to plateau part way through. If you are/were large, weight also will often seem to fly off once it gets started without you seeming to have to do much. When you have to work at it, that's when you need to find some greater motivation than you have had before.

Thank you mate, Maybe I should stop going to burger king twice a week? and that will help my stomic drop some weight!

I do this and it not only makes you mindful of what you eat and how many calories you are ingesting, but it also adds a subtle bit of accountability. I do eat less junk when I'm tracking because I know I'd have to write it down. There is software and on-line tools to help you and they provide amazingly detailed information.

With regard to exercise, I don't believe that sustained weight loss will occur, for most people, unless you exercise regularly.
Thank you VY, I really want to keep eating the food I like to eat with out loosing the taste I love, but I am now eating fish once a week that's packed with omega's 3's, I've also stopped eating out except for burger king and like I said to the above poster, I really should stop eating there too!

Take a physical education class for college credit. Many offer weight conditioning or other healthy/exercise classes that one can take for credit, and use the gym. I took Pilates while in school last year. It makes exercise part of your schedule instead of "in addition." and credits will count towards your degree. You may also find an activity you can enjoy the rest of your life. My husband took rock climbing in college, he's on a major trip into the mountains now as I write this, 30 years after taking the course.
This is why I am getting heathier Wyogal, I want to get healthy enough for back packing and camping, I'm not talking about pulling up the ol rv/trailer to an eletric site plug in for the nite, I'm talking about hiking to your spot you want, make a leantube, set up fire then go hunting for your food, after you got your food take your camera and goo photo op hunting. But your post to me I've always had in the back of my mind after this coming winter.

How does your husban like it? And how come you didn't go with him if I may ask?

First, congrats on your weight loss! I KNOW how hard that is.

As for flattening your belly, there is simply NO WAY other than exercise. It's not just fat that gives us beer bellies, it's mostly a matter of muscle tone.

Dump your motor scooter and get a bicycle. That will do the trick if you ride it a lot, and it will speed up your fat loss and build muscle at the same time.
Thank you Scotch, Exersize is the hardest thing I ever had to do.

It's an 85 mile tip, the length of the Wind River Mts. He DOES NOT hunt or build fires up there. They pack all of their food, has developed ways of doing it the last 30 years. Dries his own meat, puts together high calorie/lightweight foods. He DOES NOT build a lean-to, they bring their own tents. They pack everything out, (except personal waste which they bury). They leave only footprints behind.
He does this with his brother and their sons. I have no desire to strap 70 pounds on my back and walk across the mountains.
Does your college offer conditioning classes? Weight training? Hiking? Climbing?

Last edited:
It's an 85 mile tip, the length of the Wind River Mts. He DOES NOT hunt or build fires up there. They pack all of their food, has developed ways of doing it the last 30 years. Dries his own meat, puts together high calorie/lightweight foods. He DOES NOT build a lean-to, they bring their own tents. They pack everything out, (except personal waste which they bury). They leave only footprints behind.
He does this with his brother and their sons. I have no desire to strap 70 pounds on my back and walk across the mountains.
Does your college offer conditioning classes? Weight training? Hiking? Climbing?
They do, not the one in Florida, but the one I am currently attending they offer swimming, sking, rock climbing, caving, back packing, river fishing, and a lot more I can't think of right now.

Then I would suggest that you take a class, incorporate exercise into your lifestyle.

hey, chile Chef, diet can contribute to a flatter stomach, though you also probably wanna exercise. i jog the stairs at school when they're empty.

Chile Chef, as everyone has already said, exercise it the key. Losing weight is a simple equation, you must burn more calories than you ingest. Simple equation, difficult to do. You MUST move your body and as roadfix said, get your heart muscle pumping. No two ways about it. The food you eat plays a role in that if you choose "empty" calories your body doesn't feel satisfied. So, burger king food is very high in calories but does not satisfy as long as say a homemade pasta with meat sauce. You want to pick meals that will "stick" with you so you don't feel hungry. Eating many smaller portions throughout the day is a good way to do that. Taking a class is a great idea, but if you can't afford that there is a ton of research on the web that will help.

Chile Chef, as everyone has already said, exercise it the key. Losing weight is a simple equation, you must burn more calories than you ingest. Simple equation, difficult to do. You MUST move your body and as roadfix said, get your heart muscle pumping. No two ways about it. The food you eat plays a role in that if you choose "empty" calories your body doesn't feel satisfied. So, burger king food is very high in calories but does not satisfy as long as say a homemade pasta with meat sauce. You want to pick meals that will "stick" with you so you don't feel hungry. Eating many smaller portions throughout the day is a good way to do that. Taking a class is a great idea, but if you can't afford that there is a ton of research on the web that will help.
Thank you alix, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was trying to answer everyone so they didn't feel like they were left out. Any hoo I will do some research on the web and see what I can do, I will also ask my doc and see what he say's.

Thanks for the tips gang

...Exersize is the hardest thing I ever had to do.
I hear ya. I hate doing exercise unless it's part of something I otherwise enjoy, like taking my dog for a walk or hiking with friends, etc. BUT, you learn to force yourself to do it because of the benefits you get from it, which make it worth the time and effort.

Exercise has many important health benefits:

• Exercise burns off the calories you consume, making you lose fat (or allowing you to eat more without gaining weight).

• Exercise increases muscle tone and mass (making you look better, especially to the opposite sex).

• Exercise increases your stamina by strengthening your heart and lungs.

• Exercise lowers your blood pressure.

• Exercise reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases good cholesterol (HDL).

• Exercise strengthens your body overall and helps it fight off disease disease.

• Because of all of the above benefits, exercise helps you to live longer and to enjoy life more.
Just do it!

I still recommend taking a PE class for college credit. It makes one commit to a regularly scheduled workout, one learns more about exercise and health, and it counts towards one's degree. Since you are already taking classes and wish to obtain a degree, it would seem to be the most logical. For what one gets from a PE class, it is a good buy compared to classes at a heath club/gym. Also, one usually can work-out in the school facilities for no cost by merely showing one's college ID.

I agree with what the others have said so far about exercise and diet so I won't repeat their great advice as I think you get the point now.

I will say that you have to give up going to BK or at least drastically cut down. Just about everything there is high in fat and horrible for you. Leave it as a treat for yourself every once in a great while or as an incentive for exercising. Let yourself go there after every X hours of exercise.

I have lost a good amount of weight recently, but I had help. I was very sick for a week so for a period of 7 days I had 2 bowls of soup and one glass of juice and that was it. I do not recommend this as a weight loss technique. However, I lost about 15 lbs which is close to the amount I wanted to lose. Since the weight was off I decided to keep it off so I made a couple of changes.

Change number one, which I think has helped a lot in many ways, is that I have stopped buying junk. When I go to the supermarket I buy meats and veggies and fruits and things like that. I stick to the outside isles and do not venture into the inside isles where the cookies and chips and stuff like that live. If it is not in the house then I don't eat it so I make sure it is not in the house. Instead, I buy lots and lots of fruit. By lots I mean a lot of variety. In one trip I will get bananas, grapes, a few kinds of melons, strawberries, blueberries, plumbs, and sometimes more. Very little if any goes to waste. I snack on that any time I want to snack.

The other thing I did was start to exercise, but not the standard way. I have a Wii and I bought a workout disk, along with the Wii Fit. I make sure to use it every since night. I put in about 30 minutes or so, with plans to increase my time after a short while. 30 minutes for now is just enough to work up a small sweat and once my body and mind is used to the idea of working out I will increase the time to get more out of it. It is a start and that is what I needed. the key will be to continue. And if for some reason I miss a day or two or three I need to not give up on the idea, but get right back into it as soon as possible and continue where I left off.

The other thing I did was start to exercise, but not the standard way. I have a Wii and I bought a workout disk, along with the Wii Fit. I make sure to use it every since night. I put in about 30 minutes or so, with plans to increase my time after a short while. 30 minutes for now is just enough to work up a small sweat and once my body and mind is used to the idea of working out I will increase the time to get more out of it. It is a start and that is what I needed. the key will be to continue. And if for some reason I miss a day or two or three I need to not give up on the idea, but get right back into it as soon as possible and continue where I left off.

Question about the Wii

I don't try to put more time into exercise, but more effort. A mix of walking and running transitions to more running, less walking. Low impact aerobics gives way to higher impact, etc. Is the Wii Fit capable of higher impact, higher exertion activities?

Yes it is vyapti. One of the exercise disks I have is similar to the old Jane Fonda type vcr exercise tapes. There is a leader who takes you through a series of exercises based on what you can handle and the goal you are trying to reach. That disk makes me work VERY hard. After the first day of using it I was so sore it took me over a week to recover. It really got my heart rate up and worked lots of muscles. The Wii fit is less intense, but more fun so I find I use that more. I figure, for me, it is better to do a somewhat less strenuous exercise routine every day (or close to it) than to do a more intense workout, but burn out of it quickly so I stop doing it. The Wii has a number of exercise choices though which can go anywhere from extremely light and easy to very hard working and strenuous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom