Ice Cream Makers..do you have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bangbang

Executive Chef
I have been thinkin about getting one, I see a great differences in prices. Can anyone recommend one?

I have two and I advise you to get a White Mountain, now made by Rival. It's the wooden one with the cast iron and wood dasher. Makes the best ice cream. Hand crank is best for the best quality and fun, but the electric is almost as good and doesn't wear you out.

I also have a Cuisinart where you freeze the cylinder. Can only make one little batch a day because the liner needs to be frozen overnight. It also runs too fast for the amount of cooling power so you can't make extra rich ice cream without having it come out greasy.

The White Mountain uses ice and salt. The best part? It's large and can make multiple batches of ice cream. The dasher works in two directions which makes the ice cream come out extra smooth. You add layers of ice and salt. Pour in your mix and let it rip. 20 or 30 minutes later, you have at least a gallon of ice cream. You can either leave it in the canister in the ice and it will get hard, or you can scoop it out and harden it in your home freezer while you pour in another batch of mix and freeze up a second gallon of ice cream. Just top off with more ice and salt. You can keep doing this until you run out of ice, salt, mix, or electricity.

If you buy the electric model, you can order the hand crank and take it on picnics. How cool is that? Freshly made ice cream at a picnic!

ice cream maker

I have the Lello Gelato...I love it!! It has a self contained freezer unit and you can make batch after batch. If you want to go all out...get the Musso..!! I also have a Krups that you have to freeze the bowl...but I prefer the Lello over the Krups hands down!!!

Bangbang...Cuisinart also sell extra bowls if you want to make numerous batches. One word of warning though is when the batch is finished do not store it in the bowl in the freezer because very quickly it freezes solid like concrete. You must have a clean plastic container to remove the finished batch into and then store that in the freezer. Cuisinart has also come out with a "double machine", so you can make different flavours at once. As far as recommendations as to what machine is better, I can't say as it is still on my wish list. I do sell more Cuisinart machines though as most people do not want to hand crank the process all the time. Let us know what you decide and how you make out! Pst 8)

aburas said:
I have the Lello Gelato...I love it!! It has a self contained freezer unit and you can make batch after batch. If you want to go all out...get the Musso..!! I also have a Krups that you have to freeze the bowl...but I prefer the Lello over the Krups hands down!!!

I own this exact same machine (Lello Gelato)! Had it for over two years now.

~Corey123.

I have the ice cream maker that attaches to my kitchen aid mixer.. its a bowl that you freeze in the freezer, then mix the icecream with the mixer.. its great! no ice or salt needed.

Wonderful, I imagine, but it must be a pain in the butt to have to keep on freezing the bowl between batches.

That's why I opted to get a sef-contained machine to free myself from being a slave to that aggravating chore.

Besides that, doing that would take up valuable space in the freezer that I don't have.

~Corey123.

I vote for the White Mountain/Rival. I've had an electric one for about 10 years and it works great, makes really good ice cream.

I made a mistake one year and stumbled on something. I thought I had the six quart model and prepared the custard for a 6 quart batch. Wellllll, when I went to put the custard in the cylinder, I discovered I only had a four quart. Now I use whole milk, no cream, in my ice cream, so technically I am making ice milk, but I only had a little room in the cylinder to add the milk to the gallon mark. It turned out to be the richest ice cream ever. Mostly custard with a little bit of milk. I have made it that way ever since. Great mistake!

I had one of those forover 20 years. Just threw it away last summer. It was making a horrible rasping squeaking sound that was just unbearable!!

And I bought the self-contained unit to get rid of having to use salt of ice.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
I own this exact same machine (Lello Gelato)! Had it for over two years now.

~Corey123.

I haven't checked out all the machines yet but this one looks very interesting. Is this the one your talking about:

B0007QCQNG.01._PE0_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.discounthouseholdsupplys.com/product/B0007QCQNG

Very nice but they don't give it away @ $349.99 (Say $350.00), but if you want a good product (food, ice cream ← say this with a Homer Simpson voice, it gives it effect), I guess it's worth it???

Ciao

bethzaring said:
I vote for the White Mountain/Rival. I've had an electric one for about 10 years and it works great, makes really good ice cream.
65741734.jpg

The white mountain looks good to @ $187.69 at first glance it lookis interesting, but since I make a lot of my own foods, (i.e. bread, vinager, tempa, cereal, etc., etc., etc.) it could be interesting to by a machine that is going to do it, and it will do it NOW! :LOL: If you know what I mean!

Last edited:
Yes!! That's exactly like the one I've got, except for one thing.

Mine is the smaller TSA-109 1-qt. model. That one is the later 2-qt. model, which explains the higher price.

I paid 199.99 for mine at ChefsCatalog.com. Just got another removable aluminum bowl for it, so I now have 4 bowls for it with the one that already came with the machine. Chefs has the larger one also, but it's $50.00 more.

Emeril Lagasse got in on the act also. He has this machine out with his name on it. It's made mainly by Lello Appliances Corp. over in Italy under different names.

I'm going to make some Strawberry Sorbet sometime today or tomorrow.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
You really do not need to spend over 75 bucks for a good ice cream machine imo.

I've had a little Donyer hand-crank model that's been making great ice cream, frozen yogurt, ices, sherbert, etc., for 10 years now. I paid about $20 for it at the most.

BrianMorin said:
I haven't checked out all the machines yet but this one looks very interesting. Is this the one your talking about:

Very nice but they don't give it away @ $349.99 (Say $350.00), but if you want a good product (food, ice cream ← say this with a Homer Simpson voice, it gives it effect), I guess it's worth it???

Ciao

This machine has replaced most of the lower-priced self-contained units in some co's under different names.

~Corey123.

BrianMorin said:

Ciao

Actually, my machine is identical to the Lello Gelato Junior 4070 model, which I saw on that website.

It's a 1-qt. machine.

-=-=-=-=-

And I just made some Strawberry Sorbet in my machine. It came out oh so good!
Sweet, light and fluffy!!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom