New Year's Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psiguyy

Sous Chef
What do you have planned?

Going to family potluck on New Year's Day. I'm baking a big fat ham and a couple of pumpkin pies.

New Year's Eve, I'll probably grill steaks, wet down the roof, turn on the sprinklers for a bit if it doesn't rain, and keep watch for fires caused by fireworks.

Have just eaten as much as we could of an 18.5 lb turkey, with "the works"...after having had a huge roast of beef earlier in the week...

The sliceable remains are now in the deep freeze, prepared to go "home" with oldest son and daughter, with only a wing, a thigh, a couple "drumsticks" and sundry other scraps remaining to "snack on"...

Steak and perogies tomorrow, so will be ready to break out another (much smaller!) turkey on either New Years Eve or New Years Day, when its back down to just us few...

In the days of being together with the Grandparents, siblings, etc, NY Day was a day of a vast smorgasbourg of pickled fish, oysters, shrimp, a small smoked turkey, ham or roast beef, clam chowder, pickles,cheese, buns, salads, coffees of various sorts, Moose Milk and a generally all day come and go...

Sigh!

I envy You your Ham and Pumpkin Pies, Psiguyy! Make sure you snatch back the hambone and scraps for the ensuing pea soup!

Lifter

I'm hosting the extended family's Hogmanay celebrations this year. (We take it in turns!).

Cold roast turkey
A ham
Steak pies (traditional, wouldn't be Hogmanay without 1 or 2)
Salads
Cold roast beef
Pickles
Snack things, like crisps, nuts etc
Coleslaw
Potato salad

Trifle
Black Bun
Clootie Dumpling
Shortbread
Fruit Salad

Lots and lots of alcohol :LOL: Oh and about 10 rellies play the pipes.... it can be VERY noisy come 12 o'clock!

[quote="Lifter"In the days of being together with the Grandparents, siblings, etc, NY Day was a day of a vast smorgasbourg of pickled fish, oysters, shrimp, a small smoked turkey, ham or roast beef, clam chowder, pickles,cheese, buns, salads, coffees of various sorts, Moose Milk and a generally all day come and go...

yum, lifter!

Lifter[/quote]

Lifter, what is Moose Milk?!?!

Hubby and I will go out to eat on New Year's Eve. There's a wonderful little French/American bistro close by that has wonderful--and affordable food--even on NYE. We've made it our tradition. New Year's day will be a nice breakfast (probably eggs, bacon, English muffins and fruit), followed by munchies and hoagies mid-day. Dinner will be something easy and casual, probably chili. That way the guys don't have to get up from the family room! I'm thinking I'll make apple crisp for dessert.

:D We'll be at a wedding in Virginia City Nevada... so no cooking
only eating and drinking and dancing. FUN FUN FUN!

A neighbor and I are thinking of having a small get-together for watch the first PAC-10 football games on Friday nite. We will be wearing our 'go DUCKS' shirts even though the screwed up big time and for the first time in 11 years did not get to go to a bowl game. (guess they will be at Autzen playing in the eider bowl) and have like a tailgate party in her apartment with champagne instead of beer. All finger food, i.e., she is doing a crab dip, Lil somethings in BBQ sauce; I am making a cream cheeze, gorgonzola, brandy cheese ball rolled in roasted hazelnuts; and sweet and sour meatballs; also there will be mixed nuts and a vegie tray with my ranch dressing spiked up with a little Franks Hot Sauce.

Ishbel said:
I'm hosting the extended family's Hogmanay celebrations this year. (We take it in turns!).

Cold roast turkey
A ham
Steak pies (traditional, wouldn't be Hogmanay without 1 or 2)
Salads
Cold roast beef
Pickles
Snack things, like crisps, nuts etc
Coleslaw
Potato salad

Trifle
Black Bun
Clootie Dumpling
Shortbread
Fruit Salad

Lots and lots of alcohol :LOL: Oh and about 10 rellies play the pipes.... it can be VERY noisy come 12 o'clock!

OK. You lost me on a few things.

Hogmanay? I need some explanation on this one. Is this what you call New Years?

Black Bun. Sounds intriquing.

Finally, Clootie Dumpling. Sounds like it has something to do with sex! :twisted:

Thanks, we will have an early dinner. In the islands, New Years is a big time fireworks night. Gets so bad sometimes you can't see your hand in front of your face.

wasabi said:
Thanks, we will have an early dinner. In the islands, New Years is a big time fireworks night. Gets so bad sometimes you can't see your hand in front of your face.

I did not know that, now I can say this day was worthwhile as I learned something. BTW had a great time in Salem, I was the chef again, and everyone loved the food, nothing left, ate it all. We went thru 3 bottles champagne, one cold duck, two chardonay, and I had one glass of brandy then my daughters MIL to be brought out the danish akaviet, I went to bed, they killed teh bottle. They had a headache, i did not.

Nothing planned for dinner or the night, yet. Dinner will probably be simple. I think I have eaten enough rich food lately. I have been wanting to have the family over for tostadas and the works. Maybe I will do it that night if the weather is good.

We are pretty simple...Turkey/Dressing, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, Honey Glazed Carrots, Fresh Bread from the Bakery, and Peach Pies.

Moose Milk is a wonderful thing...

Eggnog in an amount of about "3 US quarts", 40 "Imperial ounces" (1.1 liters?) of "good" dark rum, a cup of good "half and half" cream, a healthy dosing" of nutmeg, dozen or two ice cubes, and little cups or mugs to serve it up in...

Lifter

Back
Top Bottom