Grating ginger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Is there an easy way of doing this , as i find it difficult as must of the ginger gets stuck in the grater itself.

Thanks

When it comes to grating ginger I always use the finest grater I can find but you can buy a porcelain grater that are designed specifically for ginger.

31-3tGziHKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

You could also try freezing the ginger before grating.

Hope that helps :chef:

That new ' food network star' lady suggested freezing the ginger and grating it that way. Whether it is easier or not, im not sure since i never tried it. She also said it lasted longer that way.

I use a microplane grater. Most of the ginger does stick to the back of it, but comes off easily with a quick swipe of the finger.

You can also treat it like garlic. Smash it with the side of your chef's knife then mince it quickly.

Ginger's cheap too. I just trim back the skin, grate more than I need and wash the grater.

I usually just peel it with my knife by slicing off the outside, then slice it into very fine strips, cut those into matchsticks and mince them very fine. I think the ginger flavor in the dish is a bit more intense that way.

Do do the exact same thing Scotch. When I slice off the skin I try to do it in a way that leaves me with a piece of ginger that is as close to squared as possible. This makes it very easy to cut it into planks and then match sticks and then diced or minced so that you end up with very even pieces. Of course my wife would rather I grate it as she does not always like the ginger punch she gets when she bites into a piece.

I first used ginger in Chinese cooking, staring 40+ years ago, and I never saw any recipe that suggested anything other than mincing the ginger. Old dog too stubborn to learn new trick.

I never found Ginger grating. I did however find Mrs Howell and the Professor to be annoying.

I usually just peel it with my knife by slicing off the outside, then slice it into very fine strips, cut those into matchsticks and mince them very fine. I think the ginger flavor in the dish is a bit more intense that way.

That's the way I do it, too ;)

I use a microplane, as well, but instead of freezing, I use a plastic vacuum bag by Reynolds and pump the air out and the ginger keeps for a long time, won't mold nor dry out.

Jim

My mother was from China from the Pearl River Delta region near Canton (not politically correct) and she was famous in town for her cooking abilities.

She would slice a piece of ginger about 1/8" thick and then smash it with the flat of the Chinese cleaver until it was pulverized and ready for use.

If she was flavoring the wok, she would simply slice the ginger and then throw it into the hot wok with oil and let it dance around to flavor the oil. Then she would remove it and add the other ingredients to assemble and finish the dish.

BTW, she always rebelled at the term, "stir fry." To her, it was all wrong. And I agree. A more proper term would be "high heat toss fry." It is a very fast, rapid, loud, violent form of cooking with lots of noise and hot oil coming in contact with cool ingredients and a lot of banging around as while being vigorously tossed by a long, heavy, metal spatula and the loud knocking caused by banging the spatula against the steel wok inside to knock ingredients that have temporarily stuck to the tool.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom