Recipe for bitter gourd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We use it a lot in Indian cuisine. Here are two ways I prepare it.

Bitter gourd with ground meat (you can use any meat you like):

4 medium size bittergourds. Peel them. Leave them whole but poke a spoon in the center and then slowly push all the seeds from the gourd, leaving it whole.
Place the whole gourds in a bowl, add some salt and leave them for an hour

Meanwhile prepare your ground meat.

I normally like to cook it down with onions and plenty of spices (ground cumin, corrainder, chili powder and turmeric) and also garlic and ginger. Ensure the meat is cooked down and browned nicely. Once it cools down add freshly chopped corrainder to it.

Squeeze the gourds slowly without tearing them to get rid of the liquid (comes from the salt). Fill each gourd in the center with the meat mixture.

Put a little oil in a pan and add some whole cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds to it (available at Indian stores) and let them splutter. Place the gourds slowly in the pan and let them brown on all sides. Reduce the heat to low and let them cook for 30 minutes or so until fully cooked.

Serve with roti or naan.

A simpler preparation of bittergourd that I make.

Peel and cut the bittergourd into small circles. Put 1 tbsp of salt in it and let it sit for 30 minutes. Squeeze out all the water from it (will also remove the salt and the bitterness).

You will also need a thinly sliced onion, some freshly chopped ginger and garlic, turmeric and chili powder and some oil (2 tbsp).

Add the oil to a pan and fry the cut gourds until they are almost crispy. Next add the onions and continue to cook them until the onions are translucent. Next add the chili powder and turmeric and let it cook for 15 or 20 more minutes.

Serve with roti or naan. Also is a great accompainement with some dal.

I remember my mom always cooked it with sliced pork and black bean sauce with a little sugar to bring out the taste. I love bitter gourd. I heard it's very good for health.

Back
Top Bottom