Punjab Navrtatan Korma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eiasu

Cook
Hallo,
i am writing a cooking book and this is one of the indian recipes,
would be great to have comments and suggestions; i am not very good in english!
thank you very much,
ciao!
eiasu

Navratan Korma

• 100 g cashew nuts
  • 300 g paneer, 1 cm cubes
  • 3 tomatoes, in cubes
  • 300 ml cream
  • 5 tsp yoghurt
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 3 cm ginger, chopped
  • 7 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 5 chillies, finely chopped
  • 3 tsp garam masala
    (Indian spice mix)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • salt
  • ½ kg rice

Choose different vegetables:
e.g. Chinese cabbage, zucchini, leak, onions, spinach, beans, broccoli, bell peppers, beans, carrots, Romanesco broccoli, peas, cauliflower, sprouts, potatoes...
Choose different fruits:
e.g. an apple, pear, figs, grapes, pineapple, coconut, banana,...
For decoration:
e.g. cherries, roasted cashews, pistachio, chopped almonds, raisins, parsley, coriander leaves...
This dish lives from its rich variety, so use from all fruits and vegetables very small amounts.
Example:

• 1 carrot, slices
  • 1 zucchini, quarter slices
  • 1 bell pepper, half stripes
  • ½ pomegranate, only the seeds
  • 1/3 pineapple, 3cm pieces
  • 2 potatoes, a cm cubes
  • 25 beans, cooked in water until through
  • ½ leak, thin slices
  • 35 grapes
  • 1 apple, 2cm small pieces
  • 200 gr spinach, 4 leaves
  • 1 mini Romanesco broccoli, 3cm pieces
  • 50 gr sprouts, 5 minutes in boiling water then drained

Fry the carrot, zucchini, bell pepper, potatoes, leak, spinach, Romanesco broccoli one after the other in oil so long that it still has some bite and put aside.
Marinade the paneer in garam masala and fry it in oil, when it's golden brown put it aside.
Fry the onions, the ginger, the chillies, the garlic in a bigger pot.
Add tomatoes, coriander, cumin, garam masala, salt and sugar.
Make a paste out of the cashews and add them with the cream and the raisins.
Now mix in the vegetables, the paneer and all other ingredients left. Let it cook all together for 15 minutes.
Now decorate the Navratan korma and serve with rice.

Attachments

• navratan_korma.jpg
    navratan_korma.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 237
That sounds lovely, but. . . .I don't know how far I would have to drive to find paneer. Is there a substitute? I know it is a kind of cheese.
Hallo,
here is the recipe of Paneer; directly from the -soon available- buddhahill cooking book:
[FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]Paneer[/FONT]
[FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]Indian home-made cheese.
For 1 kg paneer
[/FONT]

• [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]7 l milk[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]juice of 3 lemons[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]1/2 tbsp salt[/FONT]​

Pour a little bit of water in the pot, so that there is a very thin layer of water on the bottom of the pot, then add the milk into the pot and don't stir it until it starts boiling.
The water on the bottom will prevent the milk from burning although you do not stir. When the 7 l of milk boil add the lemon juice.
The moment the whey detaches from the solid part, add the salt.
Now pour it all through a prepared strainer with a cloth (best you take a cotton nappy).
This way you collect the solid part in the cotton.
Press the liquid out of the cheese in the cloth by putting a flat plate and a weight on top of it.
After a short time you have a solid piece of cheese that you can now use for your dish, for example paneer Tikka, Navratan Korma...
moz-screenshot.jpg

Attachments

• paneer1.jpg
    paneer1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 224
  • paneer2.jpg
    paneer2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 239
I'm making some now, to go with some Mexican food. I also make gnocchi with it. It is a versatile cheese found in cultures all over the world. Curdled milk.

I love Paneer, & have made it several times. Panik Paneer (I think that's the spinach one) is a big favorite of mine. The only problem I've run into is how to fry/saute the cheese cubes without having them fall apart. The dish ends up tasting & looking great, it's just that I always end up with cheese crumbles instead of cubes.

I love Paneer, & have made it several times. Panik Paneer (I think that's the spinach one) is a big favorite of mine. The only problem I've run into is how to fry/saute the cheese cubes without having them fall apart. The dish ends up tasting & looking great, it's just that I always end up with cheese crumbles instead of cubes.

mhhh,
maybe you can try letting rest the paneer few hours drying with a good heavy pressure on top,
this way usualy i got a really solid firm piece of cheese.
ciao
eiasu:chef:

Hallo Breezy,
i have talked with our Paneer expert and she said that most of the time when the paneer falls apart it is because too much lemon is in;
try following the proportions of the buddhahill recipe, that should work very good!
ciao
eiasu

Back
Top Bottom