Funky tasting pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I have noticed that after pork has been in the freezer for a while, it gets a funky taste. It isn't spoiled, and DH doesn't notice the taste, but I do. He roasted a piece of loin last night that has that taste, and I'm wondering what I can do to disquise that. Anyone have any ideas?

Is it freezer burn?
Spice it up a bit, using strong spices to your taste, like sage, curry, cumin, chili powder, ginger (not a combination of these, or maybe combine a few)

I'd be more concerned about what's causing the funky smell. Assuming the pork was fresh when you froze it, my first thought (and it may be wrong) is that the pork was not well wrapped in the freezer and it picked up some smells from the freezer.

To mask the smell, try a rub or a marinade for the pork before cooking it.

It doesn't smell bad and it doesn't have freezer burn...it just has a funny taste. DH pulverized a dry onion soup mix in the food processor, and rubbed it down with that before he roasted it, but I can still taste it. I'm thinking it needs to be simmered in some kind of sauce...Italian? Oriental? Mexican? What do you think?

just something strong, depends on your mood. Each of those cuisines have strong flavored spice/herb combinations. How is it wrapped when you put it in the freezer?

It was shrink-wrapped with the super-sucker....what is it you call those machines...vacuum sealer.
DH read this, and says he doesn't taste what I'm talking about, but he never does. He suggested we turn it into BBQ.

It was shrink-wrapped with the super-sucker....what is it you call those machines...vacuum sealer.
DH read this, and says he doesn't taste what I'm talking about, but he never does. He suggested we turn it into BBQ.

Connie, based on how well you have handled the meat in your home, I'd recommend considering another source for your pork.

Every once in a while, I get pork that tastes like pig--or maybe I mean pig-poo. It smells bad, and tastes bad, and it doesn't matter whether it is frozen or fresh.

I wonder if the off flavor comes from pigs that were castrated too late or not at all.

Every once in a while, I get pork that tastes like pig--or maybe I mean pig-poo. It smells bad, and tastes bad, and it doesn't matter whether it is frozen or fresh.

I wonder if the off flavor comes from pigs that were castrated too late or not at all.

From what I know about male mammals' anatomy, there is no connection between "pig-poo" and the parts involved in castration and the taste of the meat.

Is this something you have heard or read somewhere?

Kim and I were actually discussing that last night. He said back in "the day," you might get an odd taste because the pork was from a boar.

He made a BBQ sandwich for himself, and I had a can of Progresso high-fiber Italian/chicken/vegetable soup. It was good!

Sparrowgrass said:

Boar "taint" is quite rare in today's swine markets..However, occasionally one may slip through. Once you experience it, you will not soon forget...Nothing can mask the smell or Heaven forbid...the taste. Then again, I've seen people who seem not to notice...Go figure....

Back
Top Bottom