Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   What else with Moroccan Chicken? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/what-else-with-moroccan-chicken-60850.html)

rookiechef 10-14-2009 05:16 PM

What else with Moroccan Chicken?

Chicken Tagine with Apricots and Almonds is on the menu with 2 other couples. I'm stumped as what to serve it with??? Except I'll serve in on cous cous butStarters? other Side dishes, desert???? The simpler but pretty the better?? Many Thanks!

• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 (3-lb) chicken, cut into 6 pieces, wings and backbone discarded
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 medium red onion, halved, then sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 5 fresh cilantro
  • 5 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons mild honey
  • 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
  • 1/2 cup dried Turkish apricots, separated into halves
  • 1/3 cup whole blanched almonds

Wyogal 10-14-2009 05:31 PM

Lots of ideas here:
moroccan side dishes menu ideas - Google Search

BreezyCooking 10-14-2009 05:32 PM

CousCous is a resounding YES, but you also definitely need a "green". I'd do a simple sauteed or creamed spinach adding some garlic, cumin, hot paprika (or regular paprika with some ground cayenne pepper), lemon juice. You could even toss in a can of drained chickpeas for texture & visual interest. Whatever you do, stay away from any of the "sweet" spices, since they're more than taken care of in the tagine. You don't want everything sweet.

Another biggie - some type of flatbread. If none of your local markets carry the Indian Naan bread (& many do these days - in fact, even our local Walmart carries it now), pick up some nice soft pitas & plan to serve them warm with the meal.

For starters, how about a nice big bowl of Hummus with a pile of freshly toasted pita chips &/or some fresh vegetable dippers?

Oh - & in case you'd like to add something nice & fresh, even though it's not technically "Moroccan", there'd be nothing wrong with a nice big green salad spiked with green & black olives, marinated artichoke hearts, diced jarred pimentos, & a basic vinegarette. And if you didn't add chickpeas to the spinach, you could toss some into the salad as well.

rookiechef 10-14-2009 07:27 PM

Thank you Wyogal I looked through many but was uncertain which go with the Tagine I'm doing.
Breezy, love it.Yes...chick peas, flat bread, salad exactly as written!!!
As much as I like hummus it seems everyone does that these days kinda reminds me of the days of Ranch dressing with vegies. Although, it is easy as I requested. Any other ideas? What about desert? Something, to go with mint tea?

Wyogal 10-14-2009 07:29 PM

How about a cheese dessert? This one looks interesting:
RecipeSource: Kadayif (Middle Eastern Cheese Dessert)

BreezyCooking 10-14-2009 08:11 PM

Even though it's Greek more than Moroccan, you could buy some frozen Spanokopita triangles to serve as a starter - either alone or with hummus & chips.

As for dessert, I'd go with a lovely arranged platter of perfectly ripe soft fruits - berries, different colored grapes, figs (if you can get them), whatever is at its best at the market. Maybe some soft cheeses, some sweetish biscuits/crackers, some honey to drizzle over. . . .

rookiechef 10-15-2009 11:48 PM

Wyogal, yummmm sounds good!

I think I got it covered now Thank you Both!