Colorful Spring Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
Spring is sprung. So I decided to try something I've thought about a long time: a true, floral spring salad.

I started with soome peppery Nasturtium - leaves, flowers, and nost importantly, the little green seed pods. Then a few fragrant rose petals, followed by the tartnes of Wood Sorrel (sourgrass?), again, flowers, leaves, and stems. All of those tossed with some crusp iceberg lettuce and a very light honey vinaigrette dressing.

That, enjoyed in the garden on a sunny Saturday noon, proved to be an interesting and flavorful choice,. Perhaps a little more of the Nasturtium would have been even better

springsalad.JPG

I love the bitterness of edible flowers!!! I just wish we had somewhere here to buy them - and I don't have enough sun to grow them - and even if I did I'd have to do something to keep the squirrels out :-(

Your salad looks wonderful oldcoot and BW!! What a great way to spend your lunch!

Bitterness, "Elf? None of these flowers (NAsturtium, Rose, or Wood Sorrel) were at all bitter to mmy taste. I really dislike "bitter". The Nasturtium - all parts of it, are quite peppery - especially the seed pod, wihich, when nearly ripe, is downright HOT! Rose petals have little flavor, but add a pleasant - if fleeting - aroma. Wood Sorrel flowers also have little flavor, but the stems, particularly, are quite tart - almost lemony.

In addition to the more commonly enjoyed (except by Carnivore) flowers, such as cauliflower, broccoli, and artichoke, we've indulged in yucca and squash, that I can think of offhand. None of them are bitter, either.

Then, of course, there are the herb flowers: sage, mint, rosemary, etc, which are used more for decoration, but reflect the flavor or their herb.

So what flowers have you found bitter? Ah - dandelion occurs to me, for one!

O.K., having the name, I'll play the game: To contradict you, Coco, that about bitter flowers was not intended as a contradiciction, but a question.

Kitchenelf finds flowers bitter, I don't. So are we tasting the same flowers?

This is a Discussion board, is it not? How can one discuss without questioning and, yes, disagreeing at times?

I think I had - geez, now I can't remember the name of the flower - was it dragonfly? You know, the ones you can put your thumb and pointer finger in and you made them talk or bite when you were little! I know for sure that that was one of the flowers - and it could be that the term bitter is a little off - peppery could be more like it - I'll just have to go graze in someone's garden :LOL: .

I know there were others oldcoot but I can't remember what all they were - maybe some johnny jumpups -

I'd give anything for some sunshine to grow my own!!!!!!

I'll have to make a trip to Charlotte - it will be my sushi and flower eating trip! LOL

Nasturtiums

I wish I'd seen this a couple of months ago! My nasturtiums were huge and overflowed their beds. I used the flowers to decorate my salads--the colors were wonderful--from palest yellow to oranges and deep red. I didn't know the leaves were edible. Do you pickle the seed pods before you use them?
--Spice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom