ISO Help with Potato Bacon Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcv

Assistant Cook
I am always copying recipes and saving them to my computer. I recently found a great recipe here which I cut and pasted and saved. I am making it tomorrow and I'd just like to know how long to simmer it.

I've done several searches but I can't find the thread again... from now on I'll include a link to the original thread when I save a recipe ;)

Here's the recipe - and sorry I forgot who posted this but thank you for doing so, I can't wait to try it:

Potato Bacon Chowder

8 slices of bacon, cut up
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups cooked and cubed potatoes
1 cup water
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 ¾ cups milk
½ teaspoon salt
pepper

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and saute onion in drippings. Remove onion and drain on paper towel. To cooked, cubed potatoes add water, soup, sour cream, milk, seasonings, and cooked onion and bacon, saving some bacon to crumble on top. Simmer, do not boil.

'til done.
Timing may depend on size of potato cubes and elevation. It takes longer to boil potatoes in Denver, for example, than Miami. If your potatoes are already cooked before they go in the pot, then it won't take long at all, just bringing everything up to temp.

The potatoes, onions and bacon are already cooked when you assemble the soup, so what you are doing is letting the flavors build and meld together.

I like to let them simmer for at least 20 minutes, but 10-15 is probably OK too.

Back
Top Bottom