Cooking Mexican/Tex-Mex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lxndr

Assistant Cook
My wife's favourite food is Mexican. I do alot of tacos, enchiladas and whatnot but am looking to expand.

I am looking to get into other more interesting Mexican dishes, Possibly with cream sauces. Interested in Tex-Mex also.
I have to avoid seafood (no one here but me will eat it)

Can you make some suggestions please as to what direction to go? Some suggested dishes to try? I have had great dishes at Mexican restaurants that I can't recall the names.

Additionally I would love to make a great steak or chicken burrito similar to what you get at a Mexican restaurant but am obviously missing something. Perhaps the cooking method?

...I have had great dishes at Mexican restaurants that I can't recall the names...

Do any of the Mexican restaurants have online menus? Find the names of the dishes you liked then search for their recipes online.

Additionally I would love to make a great steak or chicken burrito similar to what you get at a Mexican restaurant but am obviously missing something. Perhaps the cooking method?

Slow cooking! Chuck roast or boneless chicken with ranchero or verde salsa in a slow cooker makes excellent burrito filling. (I cook the beef at least 8 hours before adding the sauce)

helpful sites

My wife's favourite food is Mexican. I do alot of tacos, enchiladas and whatnot but am looking to expand.

I am looking to get into other more interesting Mexican dishes, Possibly with cream sauces. Interested in Tex-Mex also.
I have to avoid seafood (no one here but me will eat it)

Can you make some suggestions please as to what direction to go? Some suggested dishes to try? I have had great dishes at Mexican restaurants that I can't recall the names.

This website has helped me with mu Mexican cooking... here www.allaboutmexicanfood.com..you can sign up and they send you recipes thur email for free

As for Mexican food suggestion why not try some of this recipe with a cream sauce
Cheese and Mushroom Vegetarian Fajitas | Fajitas

or some Tamales, empanadas, or chicken or pork with mole sauce:chef:

cookbooks

Here's two cookbooks you might want to buy.

THE EVERYTHING TEX-MEX COOKBOOK (2006) by Linda Larsen

MEXICAN EVERYDAY (2005) by Rick Bayless

Another good resource for real Mexican food recipes is: Rick Bayless
Definitely check out Rick Bayless! I just watched his Rick Bayless in Mexico show last night. I was amazed at how simple his recipes were. He took a pork shoulder cut in half, salted it & added some water to the pan. Covered it with tin foil baked it, removed the tin foil, cooked it some more let it cool, chopped it up & viola... pork carnitas. He then made a salsa verde with tomatillos, onion, lime, cilantro, avocado & onion. It was so easy I now feel guilty going up the street to the Carnitas place & buying it already made.

Back
Top Bottom