Middle eastern side dish / appetizer ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
My sister is having an event at her house. I am in charge of making some middle eastern - like appetizer / side dishes .

Im vegetarian, so they will have to be vegetarian

The obvious ( which are good, but I do this all the time, I want a change)

Tabouli
Hummus
Baba Ghanouj
Pita chips
Bean salad of some sort

Any other ideas come to mind ??

There will be about 40 people there , so i prefer making something to dish out , as opposed to individual items , since that would require a lot of work.

Also, Im not sure how much oven/ stove top space ill have, if any. So something that can be cold, room temp and not need any last minute cooking would be ideal.

Thanks in advance,

larry

Dh is right here, so I asked for suggestions. He's from Turkey. Here are some of his ideas.

He says that you could do one of the variations of dolmas... and not just with grape leaves, but with green peppers as well.

Breaded and sauteed zucchini with yogurt and garlic sauce. Or Mucver, which is shredded zucchini with an egg and herb mixture that is sauteed. This is usually served warm, though.

Fried eggplant with tomato and garlic sauce on it.

Turkish shepherd's salad has lots of onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, green peppers, parsley dressed simply with lemon and olive oil. You can google for various recipes of this.

Here is a general google search result for Turkish mezes, or appetizers, of which a very large number are cold olive oil dishes. Most Middle Eastern countries have some variation of the different themes.

A very large number of their mezes have some sort of bean in them, though. ;)

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom