Avoiding watery fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbanke

Assistant Cook
Every time I make tilapia it comes out extremly watery. I get my tilapia from my local supermarket and it is previously frozen and fairly large. I suspect the 'wateryness' comes from it being previously frozen but I don't know what I can do about this problem. This happens regardless of the cooking methods I've tried (baked, panfried, broiled). Does anyone have any tips for this?

thanks

Put it cut fillet side down (skin up) on a plate with some paper towels, then place about 1/2 lb. of weight on top of it ( a skillet perhaps) and just let it set for 20-30 minutes.

Most Tillapi comes from farms in Indonesia, and is NOT flash frozen, but just frozen normally (why there's so much water), and stays frozen until shipped, remains frozen while a container ship that sails across the Pacific until it offloads, probably in L.A. Harbor (largest on the west coast), or Seattle, and then trucked to a distributor until it's ready to go to your local supermarket. Your 1 lb. of tillapia has taken 2-3 times its weight in fuel and about six weeks to reach your table.

I've never seen it packaged with the skin on it. More and more of it is farm raised, our women's prison does that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom