What's your in-time recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookingexp

Assistant Cook
I am just wondering what you would really prepare if you are running short of time. Let me give you an example. I return from office late night just to learn that my cook had been missing all day and all the restaurant are closed and I am left by myself to cook for myself. What i will do is just prepare an egg -bhurjee which hardly takes 20 minutes and i will have it with bread.
Whats your recipe? What do you think, you can prepare really fast?

We keep proscuitto,ham,turkey,chicken assorted cheeses and when it comes to hungry and want something quick, I haul out some french onion soup (homemade) or minestrone... get it heating and then I turn on the pannini grill and make a sandwich with some of the meat and cheese...sliced tomatoes in season along with avocado as salad with evoo and lemon and we are in business.
kadesma

I always have bread, eggs, bacon or ham and mayonnaise ready. It is the fastest and easiest recipe I know. It works for me that is.

I can knock out a Quiche in 25 minutes, or
Vegetable Soup with Rustic Flat Bread in about 30 minutes, or
If I'm really pressed for time I can always fix Shrimp and Grits, or
Biscuits & Gravy, or Johnny Cakes (fried cornmeal cakes) w/Syrup!

Mac'n'Cheese

I can knock it out in just a couple minutes longer than it takes to cook the pasta.

My quick meals usually involve either potato or pasta or tortillas.

A bowl of pasta is very easy to throw together with a can of tuna, tub of tomato paste, cream, herbs, and whatever (suitable) vegetables I have to hand.

Likewise, a baked potato in its jacket zapped in the microwave with salad and a protein is super fast.

A tortilla can be used as a wrap or as a pizza base or as a pancake substitute.

A potato sliced and zapped can be turned into "nachos" or with a can of chick peas or butter beans, a chopped tomato and onion and a can of tuna, turned into a very substantial meal gratin or lasagne style.

And failing all of that, there is always an omelette.

And this is without really looking in the pantry and completely ignoring the food in the freezer. Throw togethers are my speciality!! LOL

Tuna salad, made into a sandwich or eaten on crackers
Spaghetti with marinara sauce or alfredo sauce
Fried egg sandwich
Mac'n'cheese

I usually kep one of those dry chicken noodle pacages on hand. I add some onion, carots potatoe dry pack. At the most 20 minutes. Also i always have some frozen meat leftovers, doesn't matter if it is beef or chicken or lamb, that goes in. Done I have a pretty darn good soup. As the matter of fact one of my daughters will only eat that particular soup, otherwise she doesn't eat soup, well tomatoe soup, Bu the way she eats it it might as well be simply hot tomatoe juice.

P.S. Personaly I love sandwiches, like a cold cuts type. I can live on them. Takes 3 minutes to make one.

I almost always have a frozen serving of some meal or other that I can microwave to life and eat - a hot dog, chili or a beans and rice dish, etc.

If not, I would make a breakfast meal. Probably an omelet.

I often "feed the freezer" by freezing either entire entrees (usually casseroles) when doubling a recipe or individual servings with leftovers. I also keep things like cooked rice, beans, and pasta that are ready in just minutes with a dip in boiling water. I also like to put leftovers in a tortilla and then wrap in tin foil and freeze. In just 15 minutes in an oven, you have a warm and tasty meal. I like to serve this with rice. Our favorite, though, is simple Pasta Aglio e Olio. Even cooking with dried pasta, the meal comes together in 15 minutes. In the summer, I'll add a fresh tomato from the garden, warm and freshly picked and slightly sauteed with a bit of freshly picked basil... it's just delicious. Then of course, in the summer, I can have a nice meal from the garden in just a few minutes, anyway. [FONT=&quot][/FONT] *

I think I'll have that fried egg sandwich for a meal today! Just typing it made my mouth water! DH is teaching tonight so I'm on my own. He can have the leftover chicken when he gets home! I don't know about the sardines Uncle Bob. Never was able to stomach those!

LOL Wyogal!!! :LOL: I think that's the easiest thing there is!!!

I always have eggs, pasta, hot dogs and bread on hand so I make either french toast, scrambled eggs and toast or just some pasta.

breakfast for dinner, quick easy and wonderful. make an omelet or just scrambled eggs, toast,, hash browns , bacon,.

i also keep soup and makings for grilled cheese. also quick.

Tortilla, cheese, and ANYTHING ELSE in the fridge!

Some of my favorites:

pizza - spaghetti sauce, mozz, mushrooms & olives (or whatever else you like)
pb&j - no cheese w/ this one
cream cheese and strawberry jam
cheeseburger - gr beef, cheese, pickles, ketchup & mayo mixed

Generally I fry the tortillas first to crisp them, assemble, then throw it in the oven to melt cheese for 5-10 minutes.

We keep proscuitto,ham,turkey,chicken assorted cheeses and when it comes to hungry and want something quick, I haul out some french onion soup (homemade) or minestrone... get it heating and then I turn on the pannini grill and make a sandwich with some of the meat and cheese...sliced tomatoes in season along with avocado as salad with evoo and lemon and we are in business.
kadesma

I've got to get one of those grills. If I am stocked but with little time - I usually make mac and cheese with weenies....or franks and beans. If I don't have the groceries on hand, and no time, I get take out. :)

Back
Top Bottom