Burnt hunk-o-meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nes

Assistant Cook
I don't burn dinner often (actually this was the first time in recent memory - I like my meat rare!!) but when I do burn it... I REALLY burn it!!

So dinner Friday night wasn't exactly delicious... It WAS an oven roast that was in for probably 30 minutes too long...

Is there anything I can do tonight with the leftover-meat that will taste half-decent?

I absolutely do not just want to re-heat & serve this one - it does NOT need to be cooked any longer!! :LOL:

one could always disguise the flavor with sauces, many to choose from, just pick something with big flavor. Another way to disguise the flavor would be to take a clue from medieval cookery: grind up the meat and add spices like cloves, allspice, cinnamon, add a few raisins, dates, or figs, red wine, onion, and make meat pies.

Maybe you can shred it and make some kind of a sandwich spread or kinda liek a roast beef sandwich..depending how burned the insides are

Heavily cooked meat (not charred to ashes), can be made into a flavorful beef soup or stew. Actually, slicing it cross grain and more cooking in a broth or other liquid, will help break it down into a semi-palatable consistancy. The caramelized crust is really very good. Good luck to you, no matter what you decide to do with it.

...Actually, slicing it cross grain and more cooking in a broth or other liquid, will help break it down into a semi-palatable consistancy. The caramelized crust is really very good...

That's sort of what I was thinking - like how I do my pot roasts (although I start those with fresh beef usually :D).

How long should I cook for?

until it's done... no real way of knowing, depends on how thin you slice it, and it's state when you begin. Test it.

If you are going to use it in a soup or stew, make the stew with a beef broth and veggies and cook it until the veggies are done. Then toss in the cut up beef and simmer for a few minutes to heat the meat through and release some of its flavor into the liquid of the soup or stew.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks guys!! :)

I really didn't want this meat to go to waste - it's perfectly good it's just VERY well done!! :P (shoe leather - my grampa would have loved it! :))

Sounds like a plan! Thanks guys!! :)

I really didn't want this meat to go to waste - it's perfectly good it's just VERY well done!! :P (shoe leather - my grampa would have loved it! :))

If the meat is tough, just simmer it in the soup or stew for 30 minutes.

so, it's well-done, not burnt? There's a difference in taste. if it's just well-done, then yeah, simmer it in some broth. If it's burnt, you might want to disguise the taste. Sounds like it's just over done.

mmm... licking my spoon right now :D.

I missed dinner for tonight because I ended up having to simmer it for 2 hours (when I estimated 30 minutes :S), but it's pull-apart delicious! For something that was so tough to start with :D.

We're going to have to eat it up tomorrow!

Thanks guys!!! :chef:

If it ever happens again, try the pressure cooker. 20 minutes at pressure and it will be like you simmered it for 2 hours. Since the flavor is already there the pressure cooker is a viable shortcut.

My kids love what we call "Grandpa's Surprise". With a leftover pot roast my grandpa would melt some butter, fry some onion in it and add chopped cooked pot roast, potatoes and carrots. Kind of a pot roast hash. If you can chop the meat pretty small, this may make it a bit more tender. Add a little beef broth while cooking too, to steam it a bit.

Back
Top Bottom