Fried eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I admit it, I'm a redneck; I dip my eggs.

Nothing is better than coming home from work at 3 am, stopping at the Waffle House right up the street from my house, and getting a couple of sunny-side eggs, and a double order of toast and dipping my eggs.

@#$%!! road widening has forced the Waffle House to close, though, so I've been trying to replicate them on my own.

I've watched the guy at the Waffle House. He uses a small, stainless steel pan, puts in a glob of butter, expertly cracks the eggs on the side of the pan with a single swipe, and out come tasty eggs.

I'm using a small (about 8") non-stick pan, spray on a little of that Crisco Olive Oil flavored non-stick spray, cook them on a gas stove on high heat, crack my eggs on the side of the pan and get egg everywhere, and cook them till the edges start to brown a little.

They just don't taste that good. I've also noticed that there's not as much "goo" to dip.

What am I doing wrong?

If you are cooking the eggs on high that is part of the problem. The pan should be hot and then turned down when the eggs are put in. Dh can cook eggs so I know you will be able to do it well. That is the only thing he cooks.

If you use olive oil spray instead of a glob of butter the

flavor will never even come close. They may also use a yellow and butter flavored shortening product that contains salt. I am sure they seasoned their eggs with salt even if they did not use black pepper. Try using a cast iron pan to fry the eggs. That is all I use.

I would use butter also and as Lizannd said, Cast iron skillet is the best.
Next try lowering your heat. Good luck and happy dipping from one redneck to another. Yee haw!

By the way Dh means Dear husband!

SeanCanCook - DH means dear husband. Your olive oil spray cannot give you the flavor that butter will. They are 2 totally different things. You may be cooking them too long or as others have said at too high a heat. Try switching to butter, lower your heat, and lessen the time in the pan not necessarily all at the same time. Try changing one of these and see what happens. You may have to crack a lot of eggs to get the right combination that you like but what fun is cooking if you can't experiment a bit?

Break your eggs into a small bowl before you start. Heat the pan and add a pat of butter. Add the eggs and cook over no more than medium heat. There should be no brown on the edges. Eggs should be yellow and white.

Cooking them until they brown around the edges takes too long. As a result, the "goo" has solidified (overcooked).

Wow, thanks for all the input.

So, I just tried it again.

I got the pan hot on high, then turned it down to medium/low.

I used some of that generic, Wal-Mart butter flavored non-stick spray, and cooked the eggs less, till there was just a tinge of brown on the edges (hey, baby steps, OK?), and seasoned them with some ground black pepper.

These tasted much better, with lots of goo to dip in. They're still not up to Waffle House standards, but they're improving.

Will using more of that cooking spray equal more flavor? if so, how much is too much?

I generally avoid salting my food at restaurants, etc., as i never know how much is put in there during the packaging, preparation, and cooking processes. In this case, there's no salt in there. Should I use some salt? if so, how much, and should I put it on before, during, or after cooking?

Now if I could just duplicate those Waffle House Waffles!

PS, DD really liked them too; there was more leftover goo on the plate for her to lick.

Why not just use real butter? And as far as salt, use just a little and see how you like it. Then increase as desired.

I actually came pretty close to being a grill cook at WH, but then took a job paying twice as much.

...There should be no brown on the edges. Eggs should be yellow and white.

Cooking them until they brown around the edges takes too long. As a result, the "goo" has solidified (overcooked).

For myself, I disagree. I fry my eggs on medium high heat in a little pool of butter. I fry them until the white is all cooked and the edge is crispy, but the yolk is still runny. I can get them that way every time now - (no hit's or misses, but it took some practice). For me, that's a perfectly fried egg. It's all a matter of temperature control and butter, not grease.

Why not just use real butter? And as far as salt, use just a little and see how you like it. Then increase as desired.

I actually came pretty close to being a grill cook at WH, but then took a job paying twice as much.

I guess I'm a little afraid of butter. I'm borderline hypertensive, about 75lbs overweight, and had a scare with a possible congestive heart failure diagnosis about a year ago. It turned out I didn't have it, but you can only slap the bull so many times before your luck runs out. I eat most of my meals out, and I like all the things that are bad for me and none of the things that are good for me. The only healthy thing I do is not eat mammals, and that's because i feel sorry for them, not due to any health consciousness. I want to do better.

My chlorestoral numbers are good, so i figured eggs are OK, especially if i can avoid butter and salt.

And I've thought about trying to get a part time job as a short order cook at Waffle House, just so I could learn to cook. I've looked all over for classes, but there are none locally, except for a full blown culinary program at the local community colleges.

if you get a part time job at a waffle house the first thing they will teach you is to make eggs using BUTTER ... lol

isnt the egg yolk just as bad ?

love my eggs over easy then put them on the toast and break the yokes.

another favorite is fried eggs in butter- yoke just done and then put mayo on 2 slices of bread and put the eggs in . "fried egg sandwhich" mmmmmmm

i have learned to NEVER crack eggs on the edge of anything because you force shards into the crack and risk breaking the yolk or eating shells. i also find it difficult to pry the shell open when cracked on the edge. instead put down a paper napkin or towel on a flat surface and bring down the egg on the flat surface then just pull apart. when i am making fried eggs i put the uncracked eggs into a large bowl next to the stove and crack on the flat surface of the inside side of the bowl and then place shells into the bowl and dump out when done. or if only making 2 eggs i crack both into a small bowl and slide them into the pan. i use a non stick pan and butter. for sunny eggs just melt butter on high add the eggs and turn heat off, just swirl the eggs around for about a 1/2 minute or until set the way you like them. rememeber if they are cooked till done in the pan they will be over cooked on the plate. i do the same for over easy except i cook on first side fire on till white is set soft then turn off heat, flip swirl a bit then slide out.

we don't do sunny but here are 2 shots of over easy with runny yolks for dipping (i LOVE dipping eggs!!)

img_870768_0_6576a2cc2bb4413452aba8430815c983.jpg

img_870768_1_34e2073b987acf4ef37163fb3b01c489.jpg

in the first pic the biscuits and potatoes are a bit well done (tasted great!!) but the eggs were perfectly cooked (i hate brown eggs).

I guess I'm a little afraid of butter. I'm borderline hypertensive, about 75lbs overweight, and had a scare with a possible congestive heart failure diagnosis about a year ago. It turned out I didn't have it, but you can only slap the bull so many times before your luck runs out. I eat most of my meals out, and I like all the things that are bad for me and none of the things that are good for me. The only healthy thing I do is not eat mammals, and that's because i feel sorry for them, not due to any health consciousness. I want to do better.

I would worry more about preservatives, additives, etc than the moderate use of real butter. But I suppose you should do what your doctor tells you to do. But if you eat most of your meals out, don't you think they are using butter in the preparation of the food? By cooking for yourself you can regulate the amount of butter (or anything else) that goes into it!

Even if there is a problem with eggs, doesn't adding butter just compound that?

And the whole idea of wanting to learn how to cook is so I can eat better.

And dipping eggs is when you dip your toast into a runny yolk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom