2 jars of pickles on Tyler Florence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I'm watching the food network and Tyler Florence is making 2 jars of pickles.
Does anyone really make two jars, say, versus, 20 jars at a time?
I'm thinking he did two jars because it's a tv show and he doesn't, they don't--tv people, want to make a segment for 20 jars.
Doesn't everyone make lots of jars of pickles when cucumbers are in over abundance?
He had some good points, like sterilizing the jars, putting the raw garlic and dill and pretty sliced cucumber slices in the jars, then cooling the brine so they stay crispy, because we like crispy pickles, but, I didn't see any water canner, or maybe I wasn't watching closely.
If you make two jars with cooler brine, they would fit in the fridge, then you really don't need to worry about long term storage.
I'm afraid I missed the rest. Did anyone see the segment? Was the brine hot enough to seal the jars or did he use a water canner somewhere, or was his purpose only to put them in the fridge?
TIA,

It sounds like he made refrigerator pickles. Good in small batches. Taste great and stay crunchy but only last for about 60 days in the fridge. I just made 6 pints myself last night.

My Gram will can 2 or 3 jars at a time deepening on what's coming out of the garden (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc). Refridgerator pickles are GREAT! Very easy and the last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom