ISO Pizza making tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
i definately have no will power when it comes to pizza, once i lay my teeth into the stuff i cant stop eating it. i rarely eat pizza out just because is always greezy. tomorrow im making a couple of pies because i have a block of mozzarella cheese that i need to use up.

my toppings list is italian sausage, fresh mushrooms and bell peppers, round onion, a jar of atichoke hearts, can of olives, fresh garlic and the cheese.

i usually open a couple cans of cheap tomatoe sauce and ad olive oil, some dried italian herb mixture and garlic powder. i have added some tomatoe paste in the past and it came out ok.

for the crust i just use a basic bread recipe but this is where im really looking for some advice on how i can make it better.

any advice on the other steps would be appreciated as well. one other thing, do you guys put your toppings on top of the cheese or the cheese on top of the toppings? TIA

I like to add oregano to the dough. It gives it a different flavor without overpowering. I put the sauce, a little chesse, toppings, more cheese, and pepperoni on top.

Here's what I do... after I stretch the dough I brush on olive oil, then add some salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and garlic powder. Then I ladle on the sauce and top. Before I pop in it the over I sprinke grated parmesan chesse on the crust. I also think using corn meal on the peal adds to the overall flavor.

One thing that will improve your dough is to make it the night before (or the morning of). Use your regular dough recipe, stir everything together thoroughly (no need to knead, the long rise will take care of developing the gluten) and leave in on the counter, or in the fridge if the kitchen is warm.

My crust recipe is 3/4 cup of water, 2 cups of regular AP flour, 2 T olive oil, 1 tsp salt. Add a little more flour if it seems too loose.

img_875005_0_0c2577bbc310ed98b788ebf818e7dc18.jpg
:chef:

i just about ate 1 of them myself:pig:

One thing that will improve your dough is to make it the night before (or the morning of). Use your regular dough recipe, stir everything together thoroughly (no need to knead, the long rise will take care of developing the gluten) and leave in on the counter, or in the fridge if the kitchen is warm.

My crust recipe is 3/4 cup of water, 2 cups of regular AP flour, 2 T olive oil, 1 tsp salt. Add a little more flour if it seems too loose.
no yeast?

Some things I've found useful for getting a good base.

- A stone or cast iron pizza stone. Absolutely necessary IMO.
- Let the dough develop in the fridge for 24 hours before using, as per sparrowgrass' comments.
- Use a high gluten bread flour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom