Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Fish & Seafood (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Scallops help! (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/scallops-help-62939.html)

masteraznchefjr 02-10-2010 01:24 AM

Scallops help!
 
Hello guys,

I plan on making scallops over the weekend. I was wondering how I can properly choose scallops, proper storage, and properly cook them without undercooking or overcooking them. Being a poor college student ... I can't mess this one up or else there will be no dinner : (.

Selkie 02-10-2010 07:08 AM

Here is a link that might be helpful:

Scallop Cooking Tips

But my own way of enjoying them is:
large sea scallops
butter
minced garlic
lemons
parsley

Melt 3-4 tbsp butter in a medium hot skillet and wait until the butter stops foaming. Add scallops and minced garlic to skillet. Allow to cook for a 3-4 minutes, turning over when lightly browned.

As scallops begin to brown slightly on this second side, squeeze fresh 1/2 lemon over scallops. Cook for one additional minute and then plate.

Sprinkle with parsley, the other lemon half of squeezed juice, if desired, and paprika to taste.
Spoon with more butter from the skillet if needed for moisture.


Enjoy! :chef:

Andy M. 02-10-2010 09:31 AM

The most important step is in buying the right scallops.

I much prefer the larger sea scallops over the little bay scallops. That being said, look for DRY scallops. Most scallops are treated with a solution that adds up to 25% to the weight of the scallop. When you try to pan sear them, all the liquid runs out and makes a great sear impossible.

I would heat a combination of oil and butter in a hot pan and place the scallops in the pan to sear. When they have released and are nicely browned, turn them over and repeat. You can watch the color change a the scallops cook. They will change from a translucent white to an opaque white. Take them off the het before they are completely opaque. They will continue to cook a little off the heat.

Remove the scallops to a plate and toss the garlic and parsley into the hot fat and cook to release the aromas. Mount with a couple of pats of butter off the heat and pour this over the scallops.

Alix 02-10-2010 10:15 AM

Ditto what both Andy and Selkie said. Garlic and lemon is the way to go flavor wise, but the dry scallop thing is crucial. Its so frustrating to have the water skoosh out and wreck it all.

ChefJune 02-10-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 877276)
The most important step is in buying the right scallops.

I much prefer the larger sea scallops over the little bay scallops. That being said, look for DRY scallops. Most scallops are treated with a solution that adds up to 25% to the weight of the scallop. When you try to pan sear them, all the liquid runs out and makes a great sear impossible.

I would heat a combination of oil and butter in a hot pan and place the scallops in the pan to sear. When they have released and are nicely browned, turn them over and repeat. You can watch the color change a the scallops cook. They will change from a translucent white to an opaque white. Take them off the het before they are completely opaque. They will continue to cook a little off the heat.

Remove the scallops to a plate and toss the garlic and parsley into the hot fat and cook to release the aromas. Mount with a couple of pats of butter off the heat and pour this over the scallops.

What Andy said.

You may worry you will not be able to see the scallops change color, but you will. It's always a revelation the first time.

You almost cannot undercook scallops. If you have really fresh, dry pack scallops, they are actually very tasty raw. However, if you overcook them, they come out similar in texture to pencil erasers. Not a good thing.

I recommend not putting the garlic in the pan before you put the scallops in. You don't want it to burn. amd squirt a little fresh lemon juice over them when they're done. Delicious! :chef:

Janet H 02-10-2010 02:16 PM

I also cook them this way but deglaze the pan with a little white wine and drizzle that over the scallops (just a little bit). I would add the garlic at the last minute to avoid burning. You may want to substitute cracked pepper for paprika for a cleaner flavor profile if you go with a wine finish.

Selkie 02-10-2010 02:31 PM

I like breading the little bay scallops in an egg wash and Italian Bread Crumbs, quick frying them and then serving them along with breaded shrimp and butter/garlic/thyme/horseradish dipping sauce as an appetizer.

sadievan 02-10-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 877276)
The most important step is in buying the right scallops.

I much prefer the larger sea scallops over the little bay scallops. That being said, look for DRY scallops. Most scallops are treated with a solution that adds up to 25% to the weight of the scallop. When you try to pan sear them, all the liquid runs out and makes a great sear impossible.

Wow! I never knew this about DRY scallops. That is why I get all that liquid. Actually, I never even knew that there was such a thing as Dry Scallops. Where do you get DRY scallops? Will it say Dry on the package.

Carol

Andy M. 02-10-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadievan (Post 877364)
Wow! I never knew this about DRY scallops. That is why I get all that liquid. Actually, I never even knew that there was such a thing as Dry Scallops. Where do you get DRY scallops? Will it say Dry on the package.

Carol

Try a place that specializes in fish. Some supermarket fish depts. carry them. If you can't find them, ask the manager.

sadievan 02-10-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 877366)
Try a place that specializes in fish. Some supermarket fish depts. carry them. If you can't find them, ask the manager.

Thanks Andy.

Carol

Saphellae 02-10-2010 05:53 PM

If you can't get dry scallps it helps to rinse and press them - gently - before cooking. I haven't had a problem with them before.

sadievan 02-10-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphellae (Post 877376)
If you can't get dry scallps it helps to rinse and press them - gently - before cooking. I haven't had a problem with them before.

Thanks for the tip.

Carol

ChefJune 02-11-2010 12:30 AM

The ones that are sitting in liquid have been treated with chemicals to make them stay fresh longer, and often taste soapsudsy. Not an attractive flavor, imho. :rolleyes:

Dry pack scallops don't come in packages. They will be open in a fish market or supermarket fish section.

kadesma 02-11-2010 12:52 AM

I always buy them from the fish case..I just made some for an appy, wrappin a half slice of pancetta, put in a hot skillet left them be til they released, turned when done I made a sauce of butter, white wine and fresh bread crumbs, lemon and it's zest put over the scallops.. they were sweet and and tender and didn't last long.:lol:
kadesma

Cooking Goddess 02-11-2010 01:14 AM

I like using the large sea scallops. Check to make sure the tough muscle isn't attached - look for a very faint seam line to see if there is a tiny oval "scallop" attached to the large round part. Won't hurt you if you cook/eat it, but it's a bit tougher than the rest of the scallop.

I'll melt a bit of butter and add an equal part of light-tasting olive oil, then sprinkle the scallops lightly with McCormick Season-All and a pepper blend (I like Trader Joe's). Saute as ^above^.

My favorite way, though, it to saute bacon (about 4 strips cut into 1 inch pieces) and remove it when crisp. Earlier, lightly steam young Brussels sprouts (or large ones cut in half) till tender crisp. When you take the bacon out plop the sprouts in and saute till they start to brown a bit, then move them to the edges of the pan and sear the scallops quickly. Add back the bacon, squirt a bit of lemon juice on them, stir...and then enjoy! And if you just can't enjoy Brussels sprouts I'm sure it's OK with just bacon.:wink:

masteraznchefjr 02-11-2010 01:32 AM

Soo I am thinking of sauteeing it simplily salt and pepper. Parmesan cheese fondue with chives and a little truffle oil on top of the scallops.

ChefJune 02-11-2010 11:20 AM

Parmesan is a very strong cheese, and scallops are very delicate in flavor. You may lose them to the cheese.

Personally, I don't care for cheese with scallops at all, but maybe that's just me. I love them sauteed with some mustard/chervil panko crumbs on one side. The crunch factor is excellent against the soft, sweetness of the scallops.

FWIW, for those who don't already know, scallops are my single favorite food in the world.

masteraznchefjr 02-23-2010 12:17 AM

Thanks everyone ! the scallops I made turned out realll good!

Here's a pic
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5gcx2MEsgj...0/IMG_0985.jpg

FrankZ 02-23-2010 12:51 AM

That looks lovely. Hmm.. wonder how the scallops look at the store... :wink:

niquejim 02-23-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masteraznchefjr (Post 879834)
Thanks everyone ! the scallops I made turned out realll good!

Here's a pic
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5gcx2MEsgj...0/IMG_0985.jpg


My favorite way is to pan sear in butter or bacon fat (don't touch for at least 2 1/2 minutes) until golden brown and serve on top of roasted mini bell peppers stuffed with sauteed onion, bacon and mushrooms

Although that looks good too:wink:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.