Wursthof Class vs IKON Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tagout77

Assistant Cook
So I've decided on an 8" German Wursthof Chef's knife. I'm just now trying to decide on model.

So is the Classic IKON line Chef's knife any better than the standard Classic by Wursthof? Is it enough to pay the extra money?

Thanks,

IKON all the way.

The Wusthoff Classic handle IMO is the most uncomfortable piece of rubbish you could ever find on a premium knife. IKONs are also easier to sharpen as they don't have a finger guard extending to the heel of the blade.

What would you suggest Rob? The reason why I decided on Wursthof was because of it being a European style Chef's knife (what I'm most familiar with) and I thought to be the best producer of that style.

What do you suggest?

Not sure if there is a "best" knife out there, maybe a "best for you".

Some brands I would look at if you were keen on a Euro styled knife and were willing to pay Wusthof type prices:
Messermeister St Moritz Range
Sabatier Lion
Sabatier K
Solicut 1st Class range
Eberhardt Schaaf Goldhamster range
F Dick Premier Range and 1905 Range
Zwilling Henckel (I like their 4 star range the best)

The important thing is to try a few different ones to see what suits you best. And if you're interested in something different there's the whole world of Japanese knives.

If it was my money and I was buying a German Chef's knife I'd go for the Solicut or Eberhard Schaaf.

I just saw the Japanese knife thread that noted the "Steal" of a price for the Torjin DP Guyto. I liked the similarity of it to a Chef's knife and the harder/thinner steel makes it more suited to my vegetarian lifestyle so I went out on a whim and bought one.

Once it arrives I'll let you know how I like it. It's sad that I live in the middle of no where because I really would have liked trying many of these knives in person, but I have no reliable means of doing this. So I tend to have to go by word of mouth and customer reviews.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Sorry for the delay. Sounds like made a great choice, though. The Ikon, while nice for what it is, is incredibly expensive. There are just so many choices in that range. I'm a big fan of Japanese knives, that's no secret. The Tojiro is a great deal for the dollar. It looks like maybe the dollar is getting a breather vs the Yen, so maybe those value knives from J-land will even get a little cheaper.

Could you recommend a knife steel for the japanese blades? I'm not for sure what type is best for the harder japanese metal.

For starters, don't use a "steel." Much better would be a fine grit ceramic hone. Hand American makes some superb ones, as does DMT (look for their ceramic-over-aluminum hones).

A ribbed steel will ruin a good edge with just a couple swipes. I'm almost to the point that I won't sharpen for anyone who owns a ribbed steel.

All of the forged Wusthof models use the exact same blade and alloy. The tangs and bolsters may slightly vary to accommodate a different handle, balance or weight. Also something unique to Wusthof is it uses one solid piece of steel from blade tip to the butt (very rear). Almost all other knife companies, including Henckles use the good alloy in the blade but weld a cheaper alloy for the tang. The weld is the weak point...Relatively hard to break a knife like the forged Henckles, but an accidentally drop increases the odds of it breaking. Henckles is guaranteed for life. Macys and Bed Bath and Beyond employees state they almost never have seen a Wusthof come in for replacement. The positives of the Germans...Very heavy, which assists some with cutting. Also, the general public is under the false illusion that heavier is better so you may impress your friends/family. Lifetime warranty. Very "tough", allowing you to "steel and go". The Grand Prix II is on close out, dirt cheap. Sort of cheap looking plastic textured handles, but they're actually very non slip if you deal with chicken parts.

The down side is the relatively soft steel and thick blade, their opposite is the Japanese knives. As you pointed out the Torjin DP is the best Japanese value knife. Most recommended Japanese knives will simply cut better than the germans. I personally like shun because they offer free sharpening for life, but you have to pay shipping each time. I'd rather send something off than sharpen it.

Most say find a knife that feels good in your hand. Some people like to "rock" a knife while others like to push down. Handles also plays a huge factor in the way they feel in your hand.

For the record I own the Wusthof Grand Prix II block set, 8" victorinox 8" shun, 8" Might Mac and henckles twin presentation steak knife set. I have tried the Torjin DP the misono ux-10. Misono was the best I've ever used, followed by my mighty Mac. In most cases of the chefs kinfe, I'll grab the cheap victorinox as the workhorse, than the Shun due to the free sharpening and use Mac for specialty work. Very rarely do I use the Wusthof chef knife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom