Chinese spare rib marinade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I know this may be an odd request from a vegetarian, but what is the marinade , sauce ( whatever) that is used to make chinese spare ribs ( restaurant style) ?

Just curious,

larry

I don't have the recipe (it is sweet for my taste) but if I remember from my old Hawaii days it was called something like char sui, it might help you look it up.

absolutely hoisin sauce, this thread is right up my alley. i love bbqing char sui ribs, you dont need a recipe just throw stuff together. the key to having good char sui is to add a ton of sugar, once you think theres enough add some more. i usually like to do them up with country style ribs or pork butt, i salt the raw meat first. my marinade is more like a dry rubb because there is very little liquid in it. its hoisin sauce. a little soy sauce, a good amount of garlic powder, a ton of sugar(min 3 cups for 5 #), a little bit os liquid smoke and a couple drops of red food coloring to make it look authentic. i rub on the mixure and let it marinade overnight, a ton of liquid comes out and i reserve that and cook it down to a glaze. once the ribs are almost done on the bbq i glaze them over.

so thats the long of how to do it for a carnivore, i suppose if your vegan you could throw the ingrediants together and cook in a sauce pan with a touch of water for the right consistancy.

I've never been to China, but did you know that in Korea, they cut the ribs the other way so that each piece has a little round piece of bone in it? They call it Kal-bay and it is considered quite the treat. Folks make it for holidays.

I like to do; Soy, brown sugar, white vinegar, ginger, ornage juice, garlic, crushed red pepper, green onion and cilantro. Little bit of fish sauce helps too.

I've never been to China, but did you know that in Korea, they cut the ribs the other way so that each piece has a little round piece of bone in it? They call it Kal-bay and it is considered quite the treat. Folks make it for holidays.

i think its spelled kal-bi. i get it when i go to hawaii and there are a couple of buffets here locally that make it pretty good. one of the buffets is a bbq joint where you bbq your own meats right on your table, not bad deals for around $8-$10 for all you can eat beef ribs considering its around $15 a plate in hawaii but for some reason the hawaii stuff is da bomb.

Back
Top Bottom