Pork Chop Apple Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
so i had dinner at a friend's house yesterday, and he made something that was super simple, but also a bit creative and was very tasty....maybe others have done this, but ive never seen it before

so all he did was bake some porkchops with lots of pepper (the pepper really brought it all together - i think he used a combo of black and pink peppercorns)....then made some boxed stuffing, then spread the prepared stuffing on a baking sheet....then top the stuffing with a big can of apple pie filling....bake that for a little bit to heat it up, then toss the porkchops on top and you are done! its a classic combo, but i have never thought to do it that way

i think if i were to make it myself, i would bake the chops until 50-75% done, then put them on the stuffing, then top those with the pie filling...then bake until the chops are done

either way, its a keeper - has a sort of comfort food feeling to it

I like the idea, but all those mixes and cans are a real turnoff for me, and for anyone who has food allergies.

It's a great play on stuffed pork chops, however. sounds like quite a crowd pleaser. so much so that I'm going to try to put it together sans mixes.. :) Thanks.

i dont mind the canned stuff - makes this a very easy dish to quickly whip up....i bet you could even find some all natural or organic filling that you would like better

and like you said, making your own filling really isnt that diffcult

That sounds delicious!

I use lots of canned and packaged things since I've gotten older. The shape I'm in, I'm doing well to get a meal on at all, so I need all the help I can get. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Honestly, I'm not in that bad a shape, but I've never had an aversion to canned foods, and these days, there are a lot of tasty mixes. Everyone brags on my holiday dressing, yet it starts with boxed stuffing mix.

i have made this quite a few times, just slightly in different order. apple pie(i break up the apples)canned. brown chops and put on top. mix up stuffing, i do my thanksgiving stuffing . and put it on top. cook about 40 in oven, moderate heat. i usually cover with foil. las five min or so without. anyone i have served it to loved. i also think would be good with whole berry cranberry sauce instead of apple pie filling.

This is a classic flavor combination. The sweetness of the apple pie filling compliments the savory pork and sage-bread dressing. The pepper does add an important flavor element. Usually, these items are served in separate places on the plate. I made pan fried pork steaks tonight, topped with applesauce.

For variations, you can also use various chutneys, cranberries, or cherries as the sweet/tart element. Pineapple goes great with pork as well, but maybe not with the bread dressing.

Another fantastic way to combine these flavors is to take a boneless pork roast and cut it by taking a knife and starting at the outside, cut about 1/4 inch thick in an inward moving spiral so that the roast is transformed into a flat roast. Then, place the dressing and fruit on top, with appropriate seasonings, and maybe some coarsely chopped onion, then jelly-roll and tie it. Bake to a center temperature of 150' F. Serve with a fruit glaze on top.

Some more ideas for you to try.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That sounds delicious!

I use lots of canned and packaged things since I've gotten older. The shape I'm in, I'm doing well to get a meal on at all, so I need all the help I can get. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Honestly, I'm not in that bad a shape, but I've never had an aversion to canned foods, and these days, there are a lot of tasty mixes. Everyone brags on my holiday dressing, yet it starts with boxed stuffing mix.

It's not about "aversions" Constance. It's about allergies or sensitivities to the additives and preservatives that are in pretty much all prepared foods. and a serious allergy to corn syrup. I can handle a small amount of "stuff," (like if I go to someone's house for dinner and they serve me something like this dish the way OP posted it) but if I do that more than once in a blue moon, my body will let me know -- and not in a good way. :ohmy:

i have made this quite a few times, just slightly in different order. apple pie(i break up the apples)canned. brown chops and put on top. mix up stuffing, i do my thanksgiving stuffing . and put it on top. cook about 40 in oven, moderate heat. i usually cover with foil. las five min or so without. anyone i have served it to loved. i also think would be good with whole berry cranberry sauce instead of apple pie filling.

mmm babe! the cranberry sauce idea sounds excellent!

Pork and apple is a classic combo, but I can't help but think the pie filling would be too sweet.

Back
Top Bottom