Mustard Chicken Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruno

Assistant Cook
minus the honey because i forgot to buy it.

Here's what I did:

Took 3 chicken thigh fillets, beat them with a pan to flatten them.

Took a bowl, squirted dijon mustard, some water, garlic, pepper and flour.
Wisked it.
Dipped the chicken in the sauce, put it in the pan, poured the rest of the sauce on top.

Baked it for like 10 minutes at 350.

Cut up the chicken in squares, put it in a couple french rolls. Added a couple slices of tomato and onion.

Problems:
Not much flavor.
The sauce kind of coagulated and didn't really stick to the chicken.

What should I do next time!?

Me:
Im 28 years old. I completely stink at cooking. I eat out every single meal of my life, and now Im trying to change that.

Talk to me like I'm 6 :) Cuz I had to look up what broiling was just now!

If you are baking chicken, especially thighs, you'll almost certainly need more than 10 minutes at 350 degrees F to cook it through.

If you're really interested in learning to cook, I'd suggest a good basic cookbook to start with.

You can improvise much more safely and successfully once you've learned the basics.

My favorite basic cookbook is Julia Child's "How to Cook." Lots of great recipes, with variations, and pictures.

The first thing that jumped out at me was that you did not use salt. Salt is one of the most important ingredients in cooking. almost everything can benefit from a little salt. As soon as someone says there was not much flavor the first thing I look at was if they used salt.

Salt is a flavor enhancer. Using too much is not a good thing, but used right it is indispensable. Next time you cook your chicken make sure to sprinkle a little on both side of the meat.

The other thing I noticed was your addition of water to your sauce. I would omit that next time. The sauce will be thicker and will stick a little better. I would also leave out the flour as there is no need for it in your sauce. I was going to guess you used the water to thin the sauce, but then I was going to guess you used the flour to thicken it. Leave them both out (neither adds any flavor) and try that.

Oh, and welcome to the site!

The first thing that jumped out at me was that you did not use salt. Salt is one of the most important ingredients in cooking. almost everything can benefit from a little salt. As soon as someone says there was not much flavor the first thing I look at was if they used salt.

Salt is a flavor enhancer. Using too much is not a good thing, but used right it is indispensable. Next time you cook your chicken make sure to sprinkle a little on both side of the meat.

The other thing I noticed was your addition of water to your sauce. I would omit that next time. The sauce will be thicker and will stick a little better. I would also leave out the flour as there is no need for it in your sauce. I was going to guess you used the water to thin the sauce, but then I was going to guess you used the flour to thicken it. Leave them both out (neither adds any flavor) and try that.

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Thanks for the suggestions! I will def omit the flour and water next time. And yeah, salt sounds like a good addition. I used none.

I used the water and flour to increase the quantity of sauce. I was afraid that using all mustard would have been too strong. Maybe not though.

If you are baking chicken, especially thighs, you'll almost certainly need more than 10 minutes at 350 degrees F to cook it through.

If you're really interested in learning to cook, I'd suggest a good basic cookbook to start with.

You can improvise much more safely and successfully once you've learned the basics.

My favorite basic cookbook is Julia Child's "How to Cook." Lots of great recipes, with variations, and pictures.

Thanks for the cookbook suggestion. Im broke.

If you find you need to increase the amount of the sauce and fear the mustard might be too strong on its own then you could try adding a little chicken stock instead of water. At least that way you are bringing some flavor in instead of diluting the flavor. You could also try other flavored liquids too. White wine or cranberry juice cut with chicken stock could possibly work for you.

Why dont you try next time just brushing dijon on both sides of the chicken, and then dip them in panko, or breadcrumbs, and then bake them.. You wont need to cut up the chicken just plop (technical cooking term) it on your roll, and add your favorite toppings... Welcome and goodluck.. :chef:

I completely stink at cooking. I eat out every single meal of my life, and now Im trying to change that.

Talk to me like I'm 6 :) Cuz I had to look up what broiling was just now!
:LOL:...you can't get much more humble than that...stick around, you'll learn alot here

Pretty soon you'll be using this icon and meaning it: :chef:

Back
Top Bottom