Solid Chicken Marinade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I'm trying to learn to cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts quickly, simply, and healthily.

I've developed a pretty effective technique by first searing them in a cast iron grill pan till they have some caramelization, then finishing them in a covered casserole dish in the oven.

I've been using prepackaged marinades, but they're loaded with salt, so I decided to make my own. The last time I tried it, the spices weren't mixed very well, so this time I decided to mix the marinade in the blender first.

I put in a half cup of olive oil, a couple of slugs of Real Lemon juice, some ground black pepper, some Mrs. Dash's salt-free grilling blend for chicken, some Mrs. Dash's salt-free garlic & herb mix, and some McComrack's herb chicken mix and blended it on slow for about a minute.

It didn't appear to be all that thick when I poured it over 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a small Pyrex container, put the cover on, and put it in the refridgerator, but several hours later the marinade had congeales into semi-solid paste. I took it out of the refridgerator for an hour, or so and it had gone back to a liquid, so I turned the chicken breasts and put it back into the refridgerator. A couple of hours later, I checked it again, and it was back to a near-solid.

Is my problem the blender? The other thing I wonder if it might be is the amount of spices I put in ... it was pretty liberal.

Has anyone else run into this?

Sean - It's just the olive oil & is perfectly normal. All oils will solidify when exposed to cold temps. A 1/2-cup olive oil is a lot of oil for a marinade. Next time, cut the oil amount back to 1/4 cup or less & use other liquids to take up the slack if you want more marinade. Try dry white wine or dry sherry (depending on taste); a tablespoon or two of low-sodium soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, etc., etc.; fresh-chopped garlic, shallots, fresh herbs -tasting the marinade as you go along (BEFORE you add the raw chicken to it, of course!) so that it isn't over or under-seasoned to your taste. This time around, just leave the chicken in the fridge - taking it in & out of fridge to let the oil warm up isn't healthy. Just spread the solidified marinade all over the chicken as best you can & let it be.

Back
Top Bottom