Mother's Day Menu -ISO ideas/suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigAL

Sous Chef
I would like to make a meal for Mom on Mothers Day, will be for wife, too. I know it is hard to give ideas cause you don't know us, but all ideas and help is much appreciated.

She likes 7 layer salad, would like to change it up a bit...something different.

I'm gonna smoke a couple chickens for the meat.

What could I do w/the chix? Pulled chicken? Just eat it normal?(hard for us...we aren't normal:ermm::))

Don't worry about dessert, wife or kids can do that...I can't/don't bake.:(

What are you all do'n? BTW I heard that Mothers day is KFC's biggest business day? Did I hear that right? Have you heard that?

Thanks everybody.

When are you going to smoke the chix? Day of? If the day before you could have smoked chicken salad on greens.

A taco salad is always a nice layer salad.

Smoke'n them that morning, early. We actually have taco salad often, but is a good idea. Our salad greens out here aren't much count, also. A good head of lettuce is about the tops around here, small town out in bfe.:huh:

Thanks BigD.:)

kfc on mother's day? i guess if little kids are trying to do something nice for mom.
or your mom's maiden name was sanders.

big al, do you rub your chickens with anything before smoking? stuff it's cavity?

i like to roast boids rubbed simply in paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and sea salt, and stuff it with lemon halves and fresh sage.

as far as using up the chicken, pull it and make buffalo chicken dip.

kfc on mother's day? i guess if little kids are trying to do something nice for mom.
or your mom's maiden name was sanders.

big al, do you rub your chickens with anything before smoking? stuff it's cavity?

i like to roast boids rubbed simply in paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and sea salt, and stuff it with lemon halves and fresh sage.

as far as using up the chicken, pull it and make buffalo chicken dip.

I like to brine, then make a rub mix w/butter and put under the skin. The skin just gets k.salt and pepper. I also spatchcock the birds, don't ask why, I just like do'n it that way.:)

Care to expand on the buffalo chicken dip?

here's the recipe:

BONNIE'S BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, about 2 pounds, boiled, drained & shredded with 2 forks (crockpot is a great way to cook the chicken) Don't cut chicken into chunks..it needs to be shredded

1 - 12 ounce bottle Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce (try not to substitute here, Frank's really is the best. Crystal would be okay but do NOT use Tabasco)

2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese

1 - 16 ounce bottle Ranch dressing

1/2 cup chopped celery

8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9x2 inch baking pan, combine shredded cooked chicken meat with entire bottle of Frank's sauce, spreading to form an even layer.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream cheese and entire bottle of Ranch dressing, stirring til hot & smooth. Pour this evenly over chicken mixture.

Sprinkle with celery. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes; then sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or til bubbly. Serve with celery sticks for dippers and/or any sturdy dipping chip like Tostito Golds.

BigAl,
I want to try having the chicken cut down the back bone then flattened with something heavy while grilling. I do lift the skin of the chicken and put herbs,crushed garlic mixed in butter underneath when I roast in the oven, I want to give grilling the chicken like this a try.I want to make extra butter and herbs add a little white wine and a bit of honey to use to brush on as the chicken cooks We usually have grilled or roasted potatoes, fruit platter, fresh warm bread or rolls, asparagus or big artichokes to go with.
kades:)

We always do fresh and light for Mom's day. It's spring and you know how MOMS are!! So I like the salad ideas. Try arugula with strawberries, smoked chicken, nuts and goat cheese, sweet sherry viniagrette.. or do the salad on its own and serve the chicken tossed with penne and herbed olive oil, tomatoes, whatever you like (Mom likes!)

Back
Top Bottom