Mediterranean appetizer ideas (vegetarian) wanted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So my parents 50th wedding anniversary is coming up in about 1 month, and I was put in charge of making the appetizers. Food theme being Mediterranean, I was just curious of anyone has any suggestions. I have a few of my own, but I just want to hear what everyone else comes up with so I have more choices to choose from.

Not too many people ( maybe 15 - 20).

Will be at someone elses house, so easy transport is ideal

Also, ideally something I can prepare a day or two in advance, and not have to heat up ( since Im sure there will be limited oven space)

Thanks in advance,

Larry

You can take cucumbers, make cu[s from then then fill with cream cheese with chopped green stuffed olives or chives.Cut a baguette in slices, then toast coat one side with garlic mayo, top with a slice of cucumber and a slice of cherry tomato. Another topping for baguette after toasting cover one side with a creamy gorgonzola and marscarpone cheese then top with a toasted walnut.Cook some large pasta shells and stuff with a filling of choice, I find a savory filling such as salmon,sour cream chives,dill is nice, or ham and sauteed mushroom with onion and garlic works as well. Hope this helps a little.
kadesma:)

choose a dip: hummus, baba ganoush, capponata
stuffed grape leaves
calamata olives
choose a cheese: mozarella, parmesan, romano
toasted pita chips, flat bread
a salami or pepperoni
anchovies or sardines
makes a beautiful antepasta

appetizer shiskabobs
I like to take bamboo sticks and put cherry or grape tomatoes ,feta cheese chunks greek olives, cucumbers, artichokes and marinate in greek dressing then place on a serving platter. you have to becarefull with the feta so it doesn't crumble on you. could use fresh mozzerlla.

i do the same for other ones only add chunks of salami or peperoni -fresh mozzerella cheese , cheese tortillinis and marinate in italian dressing. they are always a hit and i can never make enough.

There already a lot of good sugestions. But as a side note, I think from eggpalnt alone they have probably at least a dozen of different appitizers.

Bruschetta topping made with tomato, basil, olive oil and shallots. Served on crusty bread.

Black olive tapenade.

I make a kalamata olive hummus that's always well received.

Personally, I find "Mediterranean" too wide a category for a single meal. If the menu maker is not careful, it's extremely possible to create a meal that is quite disconnected.

Larry, I'm curious what part of the Mediterranean region you are REALLY thinking about? Middle Eastern? Greek? Southern French? Italian?

I can give you lists and lists of dishes, and pages of recipes, but I'd be guessing what you're looking for.

Larry i'm sure fattoush is any kind of mediterranean salad you like with fried pita pieces in it... I used to have that in NY many, many years ago and I believe thats what it is... :)

Personally, I find "Mediterranean" too wide a category for a single meal. If the menu maker is not careful, it's extremely possible to create a meal that is quite disconnected.

Larry, I'm curious what part of the Mediterranean region you are REALLY thinking about? Middle Eastern? Greek? Southern French? Italian?

I can give you lists and lists of dishes, and pages of recipes, but I'd be guessing what you're looking for.

middle east, greek, turkish...

June - Why wouldn't you consider "greek" cuisine Mediterranean? Greece is considered a Mediterranean country.

I agree Greece is very Mediterranean, and eggplant pizza would be fabulous... I just made that pizza two weeks ago for the first time, and it was heavenly...

There's a Mario Batali grill recipe we love for stuffed grape leaves: really easy, but very flavorful. Buy a bottle of grape leaves and rinse them under water and pat them dry with a paper towel. Buy any goat cheese that you like, maybe a pound or so. Mince a few cloves of garlic (your choice how much...), and grind lots of fresh black pepper. I mean LOTS. Thoroughly mix the garlic and black pepper throughout the goat cheese. Place a tablespoon of the mixture on a grape leave. Fold the grape leaf over the cheese the same way you'd fold a tortilla to make a burrito. Tie with butcher's twine. Drizzle olive oil over the grape leaves, then grill them on the barbeque for a few minutes to slightly char the grape leaf and melt the cheese. Man, are these things good! You can transport them in a casserole dish and pop them under the broiler to warm them up once you arrive at your destination....

Larry iv'e made these also and they are wonderful, you can add any herb you like to create all kinds of wonderful flavors... Iv'e used garlic,rosemary,thyme,sun dried tomatoes,black olives... The possibilities are endless...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom