Ginger beer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leaf Storm

Senior Cook
Just something silly I was wondering :)

Do you have ginger beer there in the U.S? Or any other country for that matter :)

Yes we do, I get it at Trader Joe/s but forgot the name of it and I am not certain where it is made. It is rather good as I love ginger.

*Drool*

Love my ginger beer, although a ginger beer lover is certainly few and far between. What I hate is that ginger ale, you know the clear stuff that looks about the colour of dark tea and is flogged by some soft drink (pop) manufacturers.

Probably the best brand that I have tasted in Australia would have to be Saxby's. That isn't saying much since there are only two producers of real ginger beer readily available in the supermarkets here.

One of my favourite ginger beer based drinks is a Moscow Mule:

- Put ice in an highball glass
- Add 1 shot vodka
- Over that pour 1/2 to 1 shot lime juice (to taste)
- Top with ginger beer

Alcohol? What alcohol? You could increase the amount of vodka if you want something a bit more potent since you simply cannot taste the vodka normally.

It takes a little scouting out, but my DH and I love Stewart's ginger beer. It's nice and hot and spicy. I couldn't drink it every day like DH could, but it's a nice change of pace.

i had ginger beer in bermuda a few years ago, in the national drink called a "dark and stormy". it is a butt kicker, made with 50/50 ginger beer and gosling's black seal rum. i don't remember if i liked it or not... ;) 8)

buckytom said:
i had ginger beer in bermuda a few years ago, in the national drink called a "dark and stormy". it is a butt kicker, made with 50/50 ginger beer and gosling's black seal rum. i don't remember if i liked it or not... ;) 8)
I think I'm going to make those this weekend. I've been hearing more and more about that particular drink lately.

Erik said:
buckytom said:
I think I'm going to make those this weekend. I've been hearing more and more about that particular drink lately.

Hubby had one when we went a couple years ago, too. Loved it! You'll have to give them a try, Erik. :)

Many years ago, there was a Scots golfer called Tam Panton, he loved Ginger beer with a skoosh of lime cordial in it.... The drink became known as a Tam Panton in Edinburgh when I was younger - very refreshing during the Scottish summer (all 2 days of it!)

I've never heard of ginger beer! I'd love to have some but aside from ordering through the internet I'm not sure how I could get it. Is it sold in Pittsburgh or Indianapolis? I go both places every once in awhile. Well, not Pittsburgh ever since hockey season was cancelled, grrr....

Damp, next time you go to the 'burgh, look at a large grocery store or at a beer distributor for Stewart's soda--that's the only make of ginger beer I've ever seen in PA. We usually pick up a four pack at the local beer distributor who carries a really good selection of soda.

One of the best versions of ginger beer available here in the UK is by an English company called Fentiman's. They have a range of 'traditional' soft drinks, such as dandelion and burdock (a taste from my childhood, haven't drunk it since I was about 9 or 10!). Here's their site
http://www.fentimans.com/

PA Baker said:
Damp, next time you go to the 'burgh, look at a large grocery store or at a beer distributor for Stewart's soda--that's the only make of ginger beer I've ever seen in PA. We usually pick up a four pack at the local beer distributor who carries a really good selection of soda.

pa, does stewarts make acloholic beverages? if not, then the ginger beer you are talking about is much different than the one i mentioned in the "dark and stormy". i'm guessing it would be more of a spicy ginger ale like "moxie".

Bucky, I think we're talking about the same thing. Ginger beer is a soda and is an ingredient in a Darm and Stormy. The recipe we've always used is:

2 oz Gosling's Black Seal Rum (or any dark or spiced rum)
8 oz Ginger Beer

Pour rum over ice, add ginger ale, and stir.

So yeah, Stewart's only sells soda, but you could use their ginger beer in the Dark and Stormy.

If you ever head down towards Central Jersey (Rt. 1 around Franklin Park) there is still a Stewart's soda stand. They make the best root beer floats!

thanks pa, stewart's floats are great.
the ginger beer i had contained alcohol, like a regular beer. but like i said, i only had it once, and got hammered, so i couldn't tell you much else (except that pink sand tastes funny)

I'm determined to make it back to Bermuda someday (it's on my wish list of places to live if we win Power Ball!) so I'll be sure to give what you had a try.

The next time I go to Pittsburgh will be when it's warm! I only seem to travel there during the winter and I prefer my roads to be horizontal when it's icy outside! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom