Hell's Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love watching those types of cooking shows. Top Chef. Hell's Kitchen, etc. Of all of them, I would never subject myself to Chef Ramsey's tantrums, because I'd have a hissy fit if someone spoke to me like that. Yes, I know....don't work in a kitchen. Seriously, I'd be the feature on the six o'clock news. Live, Local, and Late-breaking: Cooking contestant Sets Star Chef on Fire. I suppose the ratings for that show might go up. :)

I love watching those types of cooking shows. Top Chef. Hell's Kitchen, etc. Of all of them, I would never subject myself to Chef Ramsey's tantrums, because I'd have a hissy fit if someone spoke to me like that. Yes, I know....don't work in a kitchen. Seriously, I'd be the feature on the six o'clock news. Live, Local, and Late-breaking: Cooking contestant Sets Star Chef on Fire. I suppose the ratings for that show might go up. :)

I feel the same way. If I were ever a contestant on Hell's Kitchen, I would probably be the 1st person to get eliminated.

It's kind of like watching a train wreck, isn't it? I often cringe at his tantrums and get sick of hearing bleeps for his language, but still I watch. Hmmm....I wonder if his poor behavior is just a performance, or if he actually got so far ahead in the culinary world by being an AH.
A good question for our professional chef's here........did you ever encounter anyone like Gordon Ramsey?

I love, love, love to watch that show... Many of my friends and family have asked me why I don't try out for that show, and my answer is much like the above posts... The minute GR looked at me crossed eyed ready to tell me what a DA i was i would immediately start crying... The smoke would them come pouring out of my ears, and the rest would make headlines, for weeks i'm sure... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

It's kind of like watching a train wreck, isn't it? I often cringe at his tantrums and get sick of hearing bleeps for his language, but still I watch. Hmmm....I wonder if his poor behavior is just a performance, or if he actually got so far ahead in the culinary world by being an AH.
A good question for our professional chef's here........did you ever encounter anyone like Gordon Ramsey?

Yes. Years ago in Europe I did. But he was one of the tops in his field and I wanted to use him for all he's worth. ;)

Never in the kitchen. There was one fellow who would totally go off on the front of house guys though....pretty much nightly. He'd also go off on his partner (which is why they parted ways after the place had been open about six months) and the kitchen manager....but the kitchen crew were totally sacred to him.

Beyond that though, I was lucky enough to work with some of the most even tempered chefs around. Funny, they never got their own television shows....the one from the paragraph above was a frequent guest on the various PBS shows of the eighties though.

Yes. Years ago in Europe I did. But he was one of the tops in his field and I wanted to use him for all he's worth. ;)

Interesting Kathleen. Did he verbally abuse you like Gordon Ramsey does?

I worked for a Dentist once, who behaved like a raving lunatic...it was the worse working experience of my life. I learned a lot from the jerk, but when I walked out on his abuse he blackballed me with lies to the rest of the Dentist's in town. I was never able to work as a dental assistant again. It taught me a very good lesson at a young age........never to settle for a lack of respect.

In Hell's Kitchen Chef Ramsey is a pig to work with, no doubt. But I can't abide him and won't have his leary face and foul mouth sullying my living room, screaming out of my telly.

His reputation in the past as a business man leaves much to be desired.

In Hell's Kitchen Chef Ramsey is a pig to work with, no doubt. But I can't abide him and won't have his leary face and foul mouth sullying my living room, screaming out of my telly.

His reputation in the past as a business man leaves much to be desired.

Wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. I can't stand the low-life scum-bag full of organic fertilizer.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but Hells Kitchen is absolutely fake. The guy that won last year and was going to be the chef at Araxi in Whistler during the Olympics in 2010, shucked oysters which is the next step after the dishpit in that restaurant. They are all actors and it is entertaining to be sure, but its absolutely fake. I know someone that worked for him in England and he is not like that at all.

I recently read an interview with Heather West. She was pretty supportive of the show. After winning, she received a year's contract with a restaurant in Vegas, but it was not the prize advertised. She stated that she enjoyed the experience and seems to still be cooking. Also, she was fairly supportive of Chef Ramsey.

~Kathleen

Real or not, even if it follows the path of professional wrestling, I find it entertaining, and I can now guess who stays and who goes. The most contentious or "the problem child" usually stays - for entertainment! The dull ones go.

Wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. I can't stand the low-life scum-bag full of organic fertilizer.

Totally agree. It may be an act but I don't care - my skin crawls when he is on TV (which is only by accident). I tried to watch it once but practically felt grimy with all the inane dramatics and language. :huh: Please, give me a real cooking show without all this extra stuff that I can actually learn from!

Apparently, he was trained that way when he was learning. I do tend to believe he is more like this than not, especially after all the stories about his love life came out and the way he treated a female journalist while in Australia. I used to like him, forgiving his behaviour because he truly does seem to care about the food, but now I just find his behaviour childish and unforgivable. There's just no reason to go on the way he does.

Gordon Ramsey's got nothing on me, this is my throne in our Hells Dining padeswood 018.jpg

padeswood 034.jpgroom
ps I'm not a satanist I just collect antiques:)

Bolas De Fraile: I don't see this chair as Satanic, more a representative of old land gods, such as Pan or Cernunnos. Even if you were a Satanist, so what? I know peoplefrom all sorts of religions, Satanism included, didn't stop them being unique, even likeable, people.

Speaking of which, I looked up Gordon Ramsey on Twitter. He's actually a pretty nice guy. On Twitter at least.

It's either he's paid to act all angry in Hell's Kitchen or he really hates people who screw up. Either way, there is NO WAY I'd join Hell's Kitchen. Can't cook under pressure.

Ramsey seems like a pretty good chef to me but this is not a cooking program: it's a reality show. Reality shows are all about personal confrontations and I don't enjoy confrontations, although I sometimes watch the show out of the same motivation that I look over as I pass the scene of a dreadful auto accident, perhaps in hope of seeing blood or perhaps in hope of not seeing blood.

What I hate most: the bleeping and foul language which makes it almost impossible to determine what is being said.

What I wish most: that they would actually talk about cooking and impart some useful information about cooking. Alas I've never seen that on this show.

I'd rather watch a cooking show where they actually teach something you can learn to help you cook better. But alas when I'm clicking channels and HK is the only thing on, I'd rather watch people fighting about cooking food than watch nothing at all. It must be telling that I often just turn off the TV and go read a novel. Too bad I can't entertain myself reading cookbooks but I've never enjoyed that unless I was entertaining the idea of cooking something, an idea that doesn't interest me much after dinner and having had my fill.

Yet I watch the show anyway... Sometimes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom