Speck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i read of speck quite awhile ago & soon after, began noticing that this is in stock often. i suppose i could get a slice from the meat guy before purchase. is this a delicious buy was my point here.
the meat was compared by a journalist as a thicker cut of meat than proscuitto, although they were both compared & contrasted in various ways.
citterio fresco sells this nearby.
also, where is thier bresoala these days...:huh:. i luv that meat more than carpaccio, bacon, filet, lamb..... & while prviously very easily found, i've found this only 1x in recent months & well-beyond. that was another of thier items.
dagnabbit!
thanx, guys!

I love speck, tough to find though. There are a couple high end Italian deli's that carry it in the Seattle area, but I've found lot of meat stores and even Whole Foods meat department
don't even know what it is.

Generally, you can have it sliced however thick you want it.

thanx! the 'iggle often keeps this on the roster; i would prefer a thinner cut; the meat is both pre-sliced & cut as per customer.
is this a milder meat or should i decrease the saltiness using an acidic item.....

There are a couple different meat products sold as speck, but the one usually referred to is effectively a prosciutto that has been smoked. I have used it as I would a prosciutto. Add it to meatballs, in a ragu, thin sliced with fruit, on bruschetta, et al. It could also work as a pancetta, but it doesn't have as high a fat content.

the fruit would be an excellent pairing, & ham & pasta, mayo-based or offered in a cooked pasta & a creamier sauce.

Back
Top Bottom