Flaming a mold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlpineOeno

Assistant Cook
:?: I have been looking for cannele molds for 3 months, and for the holidays, my girlfriend gave me a half dozen of the real things!!! (real things=tin lined copper molds) I was getting ready to use them, and read that I should "flame the molds" before using them. I have searched high and low, but can't find anywhere explaining what this might mean. Does anyone know? :?:

Not me. There are a number of accomplished bakers in the crowd, but you may need to wait a few days for an answer. Keep bumping your post up so they see this.

And WELCOME to the boards!

The closest I can come to finding out what this is when I found some molds it said to "to temper in hot shortening" - so... does that mean melt some shortening and dip the molds in it or brush the shortening on or none of the aforementioned?

According to "lebelage" on the Chef2Chef forum, flaming a mold means
"to temper by heating with a thin coat of neutral oil at low heat, wiping and repeating until seasoned."

Guess if we just think "cast iron skillet" we're in business! :D

Thanks for the help. I have had a few replys, and many have involved seasoning with oils. Although, some have specified low heat, and some have called for very high heat. Maybe I'll try a few of each. :D

Thanks for everyones help. I think i'll stick around on this site and see if i can offer some advice back.

Back
Top Bottom