Eating Healthy on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmulcahy

Assistant Cook
I used to live in a tractor trailer as a passenger, and it was challenging to eat healthy without a fridge or stove. Do any of you guys have any ideas or tips? I would usually keep mozzarella sticks as cool as possible with ice and eat lots of oatmeal with hot water obtained at truck stops. Sometimes I'd also eat whole wheat peanut butter and jelly and tuna fish sandwiches.

Bring something you can eat on the go like baby carrots, sliced veggies, dried nuts, dehydrated smoothies and fruits. To stay healthy, drink lots of water and focus on water rich foods and lastly, sleep and rest generously. :)

Take wholemeal bread sandwiches, which taste lovely and the bread is far more nutritious than white. Also some bananas because they're packed with vits and potassium, and plenty of bottled mineral water. Get one with a feeder so you can take a swig while driving.

There are water heating devices which neatly heat up a mug of water via your vehicle's cig lighter. Very handy in a layby your sipping hot, reviving tea. But the importance is always to stow plenty of liquids, and don't forget to pack some blankets should you have to sleep overnight in the car.

They make these medium sized soft sided rolling coolers now--the inside is lined in a heavy weight plastic, with pockets on the outside for storing things.
Our best bet is to go to the grocery store and get:
veggies (as mentioned above) carrots, celery, radishes, cucumbers
lettuce for salads and sandwiches
1/4 lb of two kinds of meat for sandwiches
1/4 lb of two kinds of cheese for sandwiches
excellent whole grain bread
3-6 fruits, apples, grapes, oranges, peaches
A veggie dip for veggies and as a sandwich spread
jar of pickles
cottage cheese for salads
your favorite salad dressing
small bag of ice
a gallon of water
Milk if you drink it

At home or at a stop, wash and prepare all the veggies, fruits, lettuce, slice the bread, make the veggie dip, and make a sandwich to eat. Package everything in good grade plastic so the ice water doesn't saturate it.

Also buy: In the dry goods box, you'll need a knife, spoon, fork, napkins/paper towels, zip lock bags, cup, bowl, plate (disposables), S&P, tea, small cutting board, oatmeal, sugar, cinnamon (for oatmeal), graham crackers, pretzels, dried fruits and nuts (with or without M&M's), jar of Nutella, 12 pack of oatmeal snack bars, 6 chocolate bars, 12 marshmallows (if you like smores), bottled water.

If you buy these things at a grocery store, it will be less expensive and more nutritious than at a truck stop, though, I do understand you'll have to be stopping at truck stops anyways. You could probably get by with only having to shop at a grocery store and do preparation once a week.

We've done this in preparation for a driving vacation from home, and we've done this in cities we've flown into and then traveled by car.

I've heard but haven't tried heating up food over a part of the engine, the food wrapped in heavy duty foil and after 50 miles, it's hot. That might be a way to add some hot food to your menu. Good luck, let us know how you did.

I used to live in a tractor trailer as a passenger, and it was challenging to eat healthy without a fridge or stove. Do any of you guys have any ideas or tips? I would usually keep mozzarella sticks as cool as possible with ice and eat lots of oatmeal with hot water obtained at truck stops. Sometimes I'd also eat whole wheat peanut butter and jelly and tuna fish sandwiches.

Hi there- I have some additional tips for you. Bring a medium size container of whey protein powder-vanilla and add a scoop of that to your oats and hot water. you will add much needed protein to your oats. Also they sell dried powdered egg whites too which are great to add to (yes) tuna or shakes or just any thing. It is worth it to eat good as often as possible. I admire your will.

Lots of jerky, trail-mix (my favorites are mixes of nuts and dried berries), and healthy crackers to go with the cheese... But most important, plenty of bottled water, and healthy 100% juices like V8, tomato, apple, grape... It's really hard to find decent drinks on the road.

Yea. Most of the good food you find or can travel with is dry. If you get tired of the trail mixes, nuts, dried fruit, etc. try eating the healthiest thing on the menu at restaurants. I used to travel a lot, and I would eat the grilled chicken sandwich everywhere. Also, most fast food places have decent salads. Add extra meat if it's not filling enough.

Back
Top Bottom