What are split peas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
When making ham and split pea soup - what are split peas? I have frozen peas in my freezor. Will that do?

Split pes are dried peas that are split in half.

You can use frozen peas but will need more than the amount given for dried split peas.

Thanks.

It says 1 ½ cups split peas.
How much more?

Is it worth going to the store and buying the split peas?

How much more?

I'd go with double the amount. The dried peas are smaller and take up less space. You may not need as much liquid since there is moisture in the frozen peas and they don't need to absorb liquid to rehydrate.

Thanks.

How much more?

If you want Split Pea Soup, yes, it is worth going to the store and getting the dried peas.

I find little similarity between soup made with split peas and soup made with fresh peas. Texture, color, taste are all very different. Both very tasty, but quite different one from the other.

And, actually, frozen peas will have yet different taste than the fresh or even canned ones, for that matter.

A split pea soup made with anything other than split peas would just not be the same IMO.

Charlie, you will like this one...In my house growing up we did not eat ham, so for those who keep kosher or do not eat ham you can replace that with cut up hotdogs. It give the soup that meaty salty kick without using ham.

I went out and bought a bag of split peas. I'll use them in the soup as the original recipe calls for. Right now I'm waiting patiently while my stock is simmering.

A split pea soup made with anything other than split peas would just not be the same IMO.

Charlie, you will like this one...In my house growing up we did not eat ham, so for those who keep kosher or do not eat ham you can replace that with cut up hotdogs. It give the soup that meaty salty kick without using ham.

I know a lot of folks who use smoked turkey wings.

There is a wonderful smoked turkey legs product and also turkey shwarma, same thing as legs but thighs. They taste even better than pork.

Beef Hot Dogs?? I thought beef hot dogs were a relatively a new thing. For some reason I have never put meat in my Split Pea Soup, but Navy Bean Soup, well, what would it be without ham.:chef:

Beef hotdogs, yes. They have been around for a long time. Hebrew National is the brand we get.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom