When is my CHICKEN DONE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aguilerajuan123

Assistant Cook
I have tried cooking chicken so many times. I do a lot of exercise and I need to stop eating out so much so I have been trying to learn how to cook different things.
When I cook chicken on a pan should I put any sort of oil or what not so the chicken doesn't stick. and it seems like every time I see the outsides all done its still not finished and if I keep it on their any longer the chicken will burn to much PLEASE HELP HAHA

Chicken and turkey are a special case as they have to be fully cooked to be safe. As a new cook, I recommend you buy a digital instant read thermometer.

If you're cooking boneless, skinless breasts, try this. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Heat a skillet or frying pan on the stove top and add some oil and get that hot. Dry the breasts with paper towel, season and place in the hot skillet over medium high heat. Leave it undisturbed to brown for 3-4 minutes. The meat will stick to the pan initially but will unstick itself after several minutes.

When the first side is browned, turn the meat over. After a minute or two on the second side, place the pan and the chicken into the oven for 12-15 minutes depending on size. Check the internal temperature at the thickest part of the breast. The temperature should be over 161 F. Aim for 165 F or so. There is no need to go higher "just to be safe". Overcooking results in dry chicken.

After that cooking time, remove the pan from the oven and cover loosely with foil for 5 minutes to allow the meat to rest.

Should I use some olive oil would that be fine? What are some good seasonings I've been using just garlic salt and some lemon. I'm going to try again tonight! Lol

Olive or any other oil will work. For seasonings, salt and pepper to start. Then go with what you like. Granulated garlic, lemon, tarragon, etc. Try some chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano.

Okay I tried again last night when I'm marinating the chicken and have all that extra juice in the tray or whatever I like to put it all on the chicken should I wait till after I'm serving it because when I put it on the pan it's like all these black bubbles start forming

Never use raw chicken marinade after the chicken has been cooked. Marinade should just be tossed out after its initial use.

Question: I drain chicken marinade, put it in a separate pot, then bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 20 minutes. I grill the chicken while the marinade is simmering so both are ready to eat at the same time. Does boiling/simmering the chicken marinade make it safe to use it as a sauce?

Question: I drain chicken marinade, put it in a separate pot, then bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 20 minutes. I grill the chicken while the marinade is simmering so both are ready to eat at the same time. Does boiling/simmering the chicken marinade make it safe to use it as a sauce?

Yes, it does. Any potential bad guys in the chicken, usually salmonella, are killed instantly at 161F. That's why you have to cook all chicken to that minimum temperature. Bringing the marinade to 161F is sufficient. Bringing it to a boil has the same effect. Simmering it for 20 minutes will thicken it to make it into a sauce but isn't necessary to make it safe.

I have tried cooking chicken so many times. I do a lot of exercise and I need to stop eating out so much so I have been trying to learn how to cook different things.
When I cook chicken on a pan should I put any sort of oil or what not so the chicken doesn't stick. and it seems like every time I see the outsides all done its still not finished and if I keep it on their any longer the chicken will burn to much PLEASE HELP HAHA

Yes, you will need to put oil in the pan to keep the chicken from sticking. Boneless, skinless breast has no fat of its own, and it will become dry quickly if you don't add some liquid.

Since you are new to cooking, I would suggest a good basic cookbook to help guide you. Asking questions on sites like these are good, but best as assistance, rather than your primary info. My favorite basic cookbook is Julia Child's "The Way to Cook."

really appreciate all the advice! last question and Im going to check that book out. Do you cook the chicken at high heat or like medium and let it cook slow

Depending on the size of meat I often finish in the oven. One thing about meat is that it will release from your pan when it is ready to turn. I hate to see people rip meat from a pan or grill. If it is burning before it releases then the temp is too high.

it seems like every time I see the outsides all done its still not finished and if I keep it on their any longer the chicken will burn to much PLEASE HELP HAHA
This is happening because your heat is too high. Try backing off the heat a bit (med-high or so) and the outside will not be done before the inside.

Another thing you can try is brining. Do a search and you will find a ton of threads about brining chicken. It is an easy technique which gives the new cook a little wiggle room and provides great results.

Back
Top Bottom