Fresh Pineapple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgiver

Senior Cook
A neighbor gave us 8 things of fresh pineapple. I don't know, are they called heads or what ? Now, does any body have any suggestions as to what I can do with them... Can you freeze pineapple ?

Have a luau! I've been told pineapple doesn't freeze well, never tried it. Make pina coladas, hollow them out and use as a bowl for a fruit salad, put chunks in stir fries, use as decoration (you can pull out center leaves and insert a candle, or just put a few at the center of your table) and throw away when they start attracting fruit flies. If luaus aren't your thing, have a sixties party and make pineapple upside cake.

I've never heard of pineapples called anything but a pineapple (as opposed to a head or anything else), in otherwords, 5 pineapples are just that.

Toss some finely diced pineapple with diced jalapeno, onion, cilantro and red pepper for a nice salsa on pork or fish.

Here's another different idea:

Chilled Pineapple and Pear Soup

1 large pineapple, ripe, leaves reserved, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
3 pears, peeled, halved, and cored
2 cups cooled camomile tea
1/2 cup fragrant dessert wine (recommended: Muscat de Beaumes de Venise or Sauternes)
Honey
Freshly squeezed lemon juice

In a food processor, combine the pineapple and pear chunks. Puree until smooth and strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Add the tea and wine and mix. Add honey and lemon juice a little bit at a time to taste. Chill until very cold. Serve in bowls or martini glasses, garnishing each bowl with 2 pineapple leaves, sticking up like rabbit ears.

Yeah - a "thingie" is called a pineapple. If you have 1 thingie it is a pineapple, if you have 8 thingies then you have 8 pineapples.

I loved crewsk's recipe better the way I read it the first time (before I did a double take and read it correctly):

Pineapple banana milk shakes, just toss everyting in the blender with some VODKA ice cream & milk.

Make some pineapple salsa to go with some teriyaki chicken or one of those skinny teriyaki pork tenderloins - or make some fish tacos and add the pineapple salsa.

Hollar if you want a recipe.

Pineapple Jam

6 cups pineapple pieces, chopped
3 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup lemon, sliced

Take a large saucepan and place over a high heat.
Add the pineapple pieces, lemon slices, sugar and water.
Stir well while bringing to boil.
Let the mixture boil for half an hour until it thickens.
Remove any scum that may rise to the surface with a ladle.
Pour, boiling hot, into hot canning jars.
Adjust caps. Process 10-15 minutes.
Yield about 3 half-pints.

Good Luck!

cut into wedges, drizzle some honey over the wedges. Let sit for about 30 minutes and then grill.

Oh, I didn't mention, pineapple is good on the grill. Marinade some meat with a teryaki or Korean marinade and cook as your first course. Then brush spears (much easier than circles) of pineapple with a bit of a nut-based or neutral oil (what I'm getting at here is olive oil won't do it, but plain veg oil is ok, and the nut oils will be delish), then grill the pineapple. It won't take long. If you're serving for desert, have some dark sugar and after you turn the first time, sprinkle a little on the pineapple while the other side is browning. You can serve with vanilla ice cream. The plain grilled pineapple can just be served as a side dish with the meal.

Cassis is also good brushed on pineapple rings and then grilled - brushing occasionally while grilling.

Rainee (yum on the honey)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom