BabyBacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
I love my Traeger. These smokers are so easy use and deliver superior results every time. It's kinda like a crock pot that's on fire...er um...outside where I'm not in trouble with the Mrs for having something on fire in the house.:LOL:

The exact ingredients of the rub are a secret protected by 3 hound dogs and some native Texans. I'm including a picture that discloses some of the ingredients but not the proportions. We can talk price....

Put the rub together and transfer to a shaker.
IMG_0222.JPG

I usually make 3 racks at a time. Remove the membrane on the back, cut in half, and drizzle with EVOO. The oil helps to release flavors from the oil soluble spices in the rub.
IMG_0224.JPG

Apply a generous amount of rub
IMG_0225.JPG

Transfer to rib racks and put in the Traeger for 5 hours on the lowest setting.
IMG_0227.JPG

After 5 hours on "Smoke" raise the setting to 275 degrees and cook until internal temperature is 185 to 190 degrees about an hour. There should be some bone starting to show. Brush with BBQ sauce about 15 minutes before removing or serve dry with sauce on the side.
IMG_0229.JPG

I use an electric knife to slice before serving....check out those smoke rings.:pig:
IMG_0231.JPG

Hungry yet?

Last edited:
That's really no fair posting a great tasty pic like that during the work week :LOL: How are we supposed to get through until the weekend?

Seriously though they look fantastic. WOW!!

Munky.

Wood chips in a foil bag with holes punched. It will add a little smoke to the grill.

I found a stovetop smoker yesterday...I'll have to upgrade my outside grill to something a bit bigger. Kinda hard since I live in an apartment. But I love good smoked meats!

I found a stovetop smoker yesterday...I'll have to upgrade my outside grill to something a bit bigger. Kinda hard since I live in an apartment. But I love good smoked meats!

You can get the smoke flavor in your oven if you use a little Liquid Smoke. Alton Brown has a good oven prepared baby back ribs recipe that you could add Liquid Smoke to.

I'm not suggesting this will give you smoked meat, just the flavor.

You can get the smoke flavor in your oven if you use a little Liquid Smoke. Alton Brown has a good oven prepared baby back ribs recipe that you could add Liquid Smoke to.

I'm not suggesting this will give you smoked meat, just the flavor.

I've cooked with Liquid Smoke in the past, it is a good alternative. Bout, I've been toying with smoking myself...so I will be giving it a shot. One of my friends has offered me their patio space if I share:pig:

I've cooked with Liquid Smoke in the past, it is a good alternative. Bout, I've been toying with smoking myself...so I will be giving it a shot. One of my friends has offered me their patio space if I share:pig:

PF, what kind of a grill do you have? How big is it?

PF, what kind of a grill do you have? How big is it?

I have a round Weber charcoal grill, it's about 1 1/2 feet across, fits in our outside stairwell. Friend has a 4 ft Char-Broil and a patio that seats 20 people. He's thinking about getting a smoker, we do big cooking together all the time.

I just got a Weber kettle for Father's Day and I'm planning on trying it this summer.

Good Luck!

I do most of my cooking at night, when it's cooler. Think I'll drive my neighbors crazy? They can smell when I'm in the kitchen, what will they do when I'm outside?:)

Looks Like A Good One

Looks like a winner, I used to soak ribs in beer and some other "secret ingredients" then slow cook on about 225 degrees for 6 or so hours, slap those on the grill and melt in your mouth. This recipe u have also looks like would be real hit:)

looks great, .40.

i have 2 racks in the freezer waiting to be smoked. i think i'll try your method of oil, rub, then 5 hours on low, an hour or so on high.

i will report results when done. thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom